Who we are
Policy Matters is a non-profit policy research institute creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio through research, strategic communications, coalition building and policy advocacy. Our analysis is evidence-based. Our research is data and values driven.
Policy Matters Ohio is seeking an experienced Development Director.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other class status.
What you’ll do
- Provide oversight and management of current donor portfolio. Identify, cultivate and steward current and prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communication and sustainable relationships.
- Conduct prospect research for both potential funders and donors.
- Manage relationships with private, public, and family foundations; write grants and oversee on-time submission of any grants and grant reports; track grant renewals; monitor grant progress with staff; and follow-up with funders with progress on projects, as needed.
- Lead all direct-mail, email, and social media campaigns; maintain accurate donor and grants database; send follow-up letters and emails to donors and supporters; work closely with Communications Team.
- Plan and execute all fundraising events and programs; seek event and program sponsorships; manage ticket sales.
- Build and manage major gifts portfolio; coordinate meetings between donors and Executive Director and/or relevant staff and board members.
- Work with the Executive Director to draft, implement, and execute annual development plan to meet annual revenue goals; participate in the creation and implementation of the annual budget and annual report.
- Maintain all records, permits, and forms needed to support fundraising activities.
- Work closely with the Administrative Director to track revenue streams; serve on the Operations Team.
- Work closely with the development team at the Center on Budget & Policy Priorities and engage in the development network with the State Priorities Partnership.
- Serve as the Member Representative for Greater Cleveland Community Shares; submit quarterly point logs, maintain membership status, annual membership renewal, and host year-end workplace giving campaign.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Director’s Development Committee; prepare quarterly board reports; ensure board and staff engagement with annual revenue goals.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; preference for master’s degree in an applicable discipline (or commensurate work experience) in areas such as Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, Marketing & Communications, Public Policy, or Political Science.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in nonprofit fundraising.
- Deep experience in grant writing, grant management, and reporting.
- Proven track record building and maintaining major gifts portfolio and donor roster.
- Required experience in computer programs including Microsoft Word and Excel; proficient in donor database software and email software.
- Any experience in Adobe Illustrator/InDesign, graphic design, and/or website maintenance a plus.
- Ability to initiate and manage development projects and work collaboratively across and with staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate often complex policy topics to varying audiences.
- Confident public speaker.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE), Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive Program (ACFRE) welcomed, but not required.
- Policy Matters Ohio staff are represented by Workers United, an SEIU affiliate. This is not a bargaining unit position.
- Reports to the Executive Director.
- Based in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Some travel within and out of state.
- Salary range $60,000 - $75,000 with health, dental, vision, and generous retirement contribution available.
- Send your cover letter, resumé, and a short writing sample to email@example.com by November 15, 2021
- Subject line should be “Development Director Application.”
- Provide cover letter, resumé and writing sample as one pdf attachment.
- No calls, please.