Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) is a nonprofit organization based in the Lake City neighborhood with the mission to increase food security for underserved populations in north King County through nutritious meals, educational programs, and advocacy. We are looking for an AmeriCorps Member who is passionate about food security and interested in gaining professional experience in meal programs, program coordination, and nonprofit operations. This position will specialize in supporting our Senior Meal Programs.
HIP runs two separate Senior Community Meal programs — one at the Lake City Community Center and another at the Northgate Community Center focused on East African elders. HIP’s Senior Community Meal Programs provide low-cost, nutritious, and delicious hot lunches for seniors 60 and over. These meals also offer the community and a chance to connect with peers through recreational activities.
The member in this position will work with the Senior Meal Coordinators to cook and serve from-scratch meals daily. They will also help to carry out special events, holiday meals, and nutrition education events.
HIP follows all local and federal health and safety regulations concerning the COVID-19 pandemic. Being a food service provider, an essential service during the pandemic, this is an in-person position that requires interacting with community members. All needed PPEs are provided, and everyone must be fully vaccinated to work.
· Serving meals and interacting with volunteers and participants regularly
· Cooking from-scratch meals in the HIP kitchen
· Ordering donated and purchased foods that comply with HIP’s Nutrition Policy
· Ensuring the safe handling of food by complying with local health & safety rules
· Maintaining organized food storage spaces and coordinating food deliveries
· Communicating with program partners and participants to provide the best service
· Gathering feedback from participants through surveys, focus groups, or interviews
· Developing curriculum and leading nutrition education classes and series
· Accurately counting and reporting all activities in a timely manner
· Coordinating and orienting volunteers to support program needs
· Creating a dynamic and welcoming environment for all volunteers and program participants from diverse backgrounds
· Participating in all relevant organizational meetings and professional training
· Occasional special project work and other related duties as assigned
· Willing to grow leadership skills
· Desire to work in an industrial kitchen and be part of a meal service program
· Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
· Willingness to learn and comply with food safety and sanitation rules
· Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations
· Proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft and Google suites
· A driver’s license and willingness to drive mid to large-size work vehicles
· Must be able to lift 40 pounds, reach, bend, kneel repeatedly, and stand for long durations.
· Must have or obtain a current Washington State Food Worker Card
· Must pass a Washington State Background check to determine suitability to work with children, youth, seniors, or other vulnerable populations
Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) is a nonprofit organization based in the Lake City neighborhood with the mission to…
AmeriCorps members receive a monthly stipend of $3143. Members also receive a monthly housing allowance of $300/month, an ORCA card, healthcare coverage, childcare assistance (if eligible), an education award upon completion of service term, and monthly training and professional development.
AmeriCorps members receive a monthly stipend of $3143. Members also receive a monthly housing allowance of $300/month, an ORCA card, healthcare coverage, childcare…
Interested? Send a resume and paragraph of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator." Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
HIP is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and first-generation college students are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested? Send a resume and paragraph of interest to email@example.com with the subject line "Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator." Applications…