Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site nonprofit organization serving the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs for children and youth, adults and families, and older adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work innovative leadership and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Human Resource Manager (HRM). Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the HR Manager oversees the two positions within the Human Resources Department and builds upon our practices and objectives that promote a collaborative, client-oriented approach, high performance culture, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce. The HR Manager functions as a senior level generalist, who performs human resources related duties at the professional level and may carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: administration, benefits, employee relations, payroll, recruitment and training, with an emphasis on insuring that the organization is in full compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and agency goals. In addition, the position works closely with the Director of Human Resources in reviewing and evaluating ongoing HR policies, programs, functions and activities.
- Assist the Director in the day to day operations of the human resources department as directed or assigned, i.e. giving direction to HR staff, assisting with prioritizing work products, responding to general HR related concerns and counseling managers, employees and HR staff on the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Oversee the administration of employee benefits and payroll, including auditing, developing a communication strategy and participating in industry surveys to assist in evaluating the agency's employee benefits and payroll program. May develop, recommend, and implement new or modified plans, programs and policies or cost control procedures, and supervise administration of existing plans.
- Oversees and maintains optimal function of the HRIS, which may include installation, customization, development, maintenance, and upgrade to applications, systems, and modules. Provides technical support, troubleshooting, and guidance to HRIS users.
- Collaborates with executive leadership and HR staff to identify system improvements and enhancements; recommends and implements solutions.
- Manages permissions, access, personalization, and similar system operations and settings for HRIS users.
- Programs custom functions and documentation such as automated queries, filters, macros, and reports.
- Compiles or assists with the acquisition of complex data reports, summaries, and logs for senior executives and HR staff.
- Work with HR staff to manage the administrative functions including leave of absence, bill payments, inventory, etc.
- As directed, participate in the investigation and resolution of ongoing employee relations problems (e.g. employee complaints, harassment allegations, etc.) and program participant grievances or investigation involving employees', make recommends for review with Director and other senior managers on appropriate steps for resolution.
- Work with HR Staff to ensure that regulatory reporting and audits occur in a timely fashion, e.g. 403b Census, Oxford Census, Vacation Liability reports, Workers Compensation, EEO Reporting, etc.
- Assists the department in developing and facilitating training to various levels of staff.
- Participate in the preparation of metrics related to the major HR functions, processes or employee demographics, including but not limited to benefit and payroll costs, turnover, absenteeism, recruitment, EEO data, employee relations issues, unemployment, etc.
- Work with Director to audit HR records and processes to monitor costs, efficiency or liability, and assist in the evaluation department systems in relation to annual goals and agency needs. Research and recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to assist in the continual improvement of the department and services performed.
- Participate in the review of personnel policies and procedures including the maintenance of the employee handbook and policies and procedures manuals.
- Supervises maintenance of human resources records, including the archiving process to include personnel, leave of absence and benefit information folders.
- Participate in department planning activities, i.e. Annual HR calendar, Annual Plan, Open Enrollments, etc.
- Review termination checklist; including final paychecks, termination of benefits, COBRA, etc.
- Maintain and expand knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management.
- Attend and participate in supervision, meetings and training sessions, as required.
- Serves as HR representative on assigned committees.
- Assists Director on special projects as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with specialization in Human Resources, Business Management or related field; Master’s degree preferred; Equivalent combination of experience and education considered.
- Expert-level knowledge of ADP required
- 2-5 years of progressive HR experience; Human Resources Certification (PHR, SHRM-CP) or interest is a plus.
- Must have knowledge of office administrative procedures and/or human resource law and practices.
- Knowledge of various computer applications ideal (word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation software, ATS/HRIS).
- Ability to exercise discretion, poise, tact, sound judgment, and diplomacy.
- Experience handling confidential and sensitive information and understands the need for confidentiality at all times
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong customer-service orientation, approachable and able to earn trust and credibility.
- Proven track record of excellent follow-through on assignments. Highly organized and efficient and able to prioritize to meet tight deadliness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, diligent and dependable team player