Job Summary: The Human Resources Business Partner – Learning and Development is an innovator, creator, facilitator, consultant and influencer for the ongoing and emerging learning and development programs, in service to the needs of the Human Resources department, including regularly engaging with the workforce to identify opportunities for service improvements, creating best-in-class learning programs and providing advice, counsel and coaching to leaders throughout the organization. The ideal person is a thought partner to the Deputy Director of Human Resources (DDHR), on a variety of human resource related activities, including building out a thoughtful, relevant, and robust training and development, coordinating the necessary alignment with the performance evaluation program, supporting change management initiatives, and maximizing the use of HRIS platforms to further support user access, tracking and benchmarking of assigned program areas. This position is integral in creating and implementing new HR practices, excellence in service delivery and daily program administration. The HRBP works closely with the Associate Director of HR (ADHR) Operations, reports to the Deputy Director of HR and supervises employees under areas of focus.
Status: Full-time, Exempt, Regular
Location: Chinatown neighborhood, San Francisco
Hours: Monday through Friday, general business hours
Salary: $104,700 - $110,210 annually; Comprehensive benefits
The Organization: A private non-profit founded in 1977, Chinatown Community Development Center believes in a comprehensive vision of community. We own and/or manage approximately 37 affordable housing buildings serving over 4,500 low-income seniors, single adults, formerly homeless adults, and families of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds in San Francisco’s Chinatown, Tenderloin, Western Addition, and Polk Gulch neighborhoods. We also build housing, develop grassroots leadership, and engage low-income residents and youth. Our employees are passionate about the mission; thrive in a family organizational culture; and embody values of empowerment, teamwork, and compassion. Chinatown CDC serves a diverse population and is committed to hiring practices that provide culturally competent services. We encourage people of color to apply.
What You Will Do
- Through a collaborative lens, review and reimagine the Learning & Development programs for the organization. Collaborate with the department subject matter experts (SME's) to identify training and development opportunities and in creating department and role specific training plans
- Develop and update role specific competencies throughout the organizations many departments, services, and operations
- Evaluate, design, and implement training programs that support leadership development at all levels of the organization
- Implement organization-wide training programs that incorporate regulatory/compliance trainings, role specific skill enhancement and professional development opportunities
- Serve as the core trainer for a wide variety of the organization’s learning and development program offerings
- Co-develop, through collaboration with organizational leaders and SME’s, a comprehensive DEIB program that serves to enhance the employee experience for all
- Align the current Performance Evaluation program by creating clarity via SMART goals and applying a growth mindset using specific learning and development plans per position and department
- Internal Communications strategist, works with the Communication Specialist to communicate relevant and thoughtful internal communications that serve to inform the workforce or program offerings and to survey the workforce regularly on their development needs.
- Evaluate, advise department colleagues on people and culture focused HR programs, such as learning and development, performance management, and other talent development initiatives.
- Oversee the evaluative processes on the impact of proposed changes and/or new program offerings to employees and manage change to minimize disruption to the business.
- Actively partner with business leaders and work with them to collaboratively identify people practice improvement within scope of work
- Be a data-driven strategist which then drive valid insights and convert these insights into recommendations the business can use to make decisions.
- Maintain a keen and current knowledge of industry standards, best practices, legislation, and regulation that relate to HR issues, and participate in developing appropriate policies and procedures.
- Partner and engage with the ADHR, to seek guidance whenever incorporating new programs/functions to incorporate seamlessly into the HR department functions and to ensure clarity to the rest of the HR team
- Collaborates with the department staff in creating and maintaining the annual department calendar of activities such as special events, recurring program events and similar projects within areas of influence
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, learning and development and employment law
- Participates in strategic planning and presides over department and organizational meetings as determined by the areas of influence
- Manages budgets for regular and special programs and expenses under position oversight
- Supervision of the staffing and day-to-day administration of the programs under the guidance of this position. Support department leadership
- Remain current and updated on latest HR best practices to ensure highest program and operational efficiencies
- Oversight of the Department HRIS system(s) use, efficiencies and data in/output, as appropriate
- Applies coaching, leadership, and influencing skills in managing cross-functional projects, making decisions, and implementing/updating HR practices
- Ensures HR Programs meet legal compliance and are applied properly across the organization, and are integrated using a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) lens
- Works collaboratively with HR staff, leaders and all staff in the implementation and evaluation of HR programs to meet expected people outcomes
- Communicates with management on a variety of issues, on behalf of the DDHR
- Supporting internal and external inquiries and requests related to the HR department
- Assist the department in other HR functions and new initiatives/programs as requested
What You Bring
- Strong consultation skills and experience influencing and interacting with executives
- Adept facilitator and trainer capable of engaging groups within both in-person and virtual environments
- Demonstrated HR experience in a multi-business unit environment.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization’s hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors.
- Exercise deep empathy and intellectual curiosity in all interactions, with the goal of resolution and, as needed, mediation to conflict mitigation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and customer service experience
- Ability to build rapport with a diverse population
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or relevant field
- Four (4) years of progressive Human Resource Management experience
- Two (2) years of experience supervising others in Human Resources functions
- Three (3) years of experience designing HR Programs and Processes
- Experience with three (3) or more of the following organizational development best practices and tools: ADKAR, RACI, Decision Making Frameworks, Coaching, DEIB, Strategic Planning
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions independently
- PHR/CP or CPTD certification/credential
- Certified in specialty EQ programs such as DISC, MBTI, Strengthfinders, or similar
- Bilingual in English and Chinese
- Familiar with the full scope of Human Resources program and operations administration