Harlem Educational Activities Fund (HEAF) is a comprehensive supplemental education and youth development organization dedicated to assisting motivated students in developing the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values, and personal resilience required for success in school, career, and life. Through various after-school, Saturday, and summer educational and youth development programs, HEAF identifies scholars in middle school and supports them until they graduate from a four-year college.
The College Coach provides one-on-one and group support to students navigating the college application process. Many of our HEAF students are first-generation college-seeking students who may not have the familial support or "college knowledge" to navigate the application process. By being paired with a Coach to accompany them through the college application process, students can have individualized support and guidance while having access to a mentor and sounding board to help guide and hold them accountable for their personal and educational goals.
All College Coaches will receive orientation and training from HEAF. The Onward Program Director will manage and support coaches throughout the year.
Job Type: Part Time- 10 Hours weekly
Location: Manhattan (Harlem) 2090 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd, New York, NY 10027
Schedule: Tuesday- Thursday 3:30 pm-6:30 pm (On-site)
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Meet with mentees through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship helping them through the college admissions process
● Maintain weekly communication with students; Set goals to ensure students meet college admissions deadlines
● Help students identify what they are passionate about and link their passions to their college majors
● Build the relationship by working on college admissions requirements and discussing "college knowledge" (majors, living on campus, organizations, college life)
● Motivate students to attend a 4-year university
● Assist students with applying to at least ten private colleges and universities in addition to completing the CUNY and SUNY application
● Attend at least 1 Essay Editing workshop to ensure you can edit and work with the student to finalize personal statements and other college application essays
● Attend College Coaching Clinics, which are opportunities for you to complete parts of the application as a group with students while learning best practices
● Document and track student's progress via google sheets and Salesforce
● Assist with the coordination of in-person and virtual college visits
● Be a college senior or hold a college degree preferably in Social Work, Education, Counseling, Public Administration, Higher Education, or similar (but all majors considered) Masters degree preferred
● Two years of related work experience preferred
● Strong communication skills and ability to share information in a timely manner
● Be at least 21 years of age or older
● Reside or work in the NYC Metropolitan Area
● Be able to commit to 11 months of college success coaching
● Work collaboratively with HEAF staff to support the student's college application process
● Adhere to program policies and procedures
● Be willing to complete the application and screening process, including a background check
HEAF Vaccination Policy:
· We require all HEAF new hires to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 before their start date.
Compensation: $25/ hour
Harlem Educational Activities Fund (HEAF) is a comprehensive supplemental education and youth development organization dedicated to assisting motivated students in developing the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social…