JOB TITLE: Budget & Grants Manager
LOCATION: New York
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Finance
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Exempt; Non-Union
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Budget and Grants Manager has primary responsibility for preparation of the organization’s program and department budgets, and the budgets related to Development/Program grants and contracts. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Finance, this position oversees the entire budget and grant contracts process and works closely with Program and Department Directors to assure optimum support in budget and grant contracts matters, and forecasting. This position requires a high level of confidentiality and the ability to complete duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and with great attention to detail.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary point person for constructing organization (program and department) and grant budgets.
- Develop and/or revise budgets for donor-funded activities according to donor requirement, internal financial policies and projects' specifications.
- Provide advice and technical assistance with cost analysis, fiscal allocation, and budget preparation.
- Prepare and submit for approval budget modifications as appropriate and in coordination with program directors.
- Assist/coordinate schedules for special audits, such as with donors or regulatory agencies.
- Compile and analyze accounting records and other data to determine the financial resources required to implement a program.
- Review operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
- Match appropriations for specific programs with appropriations for broader programs, including items for emergency funds.
- Work closely with the development staff on grant budgets and subsequent reporting to grantors.
- Collaborate with development and program staff in relation to restricted funding, including:
- Developing proposals and budgets for restricted grants that are consistent with the organization’s strategic objectives;
- Overseeing the administration of restricted grants, including preparation of financial reports;
- Developing restricted revenue projections, as part of the budgeting process.
- Prepare organizational Expense Forecasts or Reforecasts based on actual data and prospective organizational plans; Measure and evaluate the results of produced budget against clear objectives of the respective Directors.
- Quarterly financial summary reporting for the board.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting (or, related field) or equivalent education and experience.
- At least 5 years of sustained work experience in budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize duties, and work independently while functioning under pressure and as a member of a team.
- A proven track record of financial oversight/budget management including, budget development, budget forecasting, tracking and reconciliation and solid financial acumen; experience managing restricted funding, ideally including government funding.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership, the board of directors, and staff.
- Excellent judgment and demonstrated complex problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to assume responsibility for special assignments and to perform them in accordance with minimal instructions.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to always maintain confidentiality and diplomacy; Extremely high reliability and integrity.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives make us stronger and more effective.