Position: Summer Camp LifeguardPosition Summary:
This position assists in maintaining a safe environment, enforces all pool rules and follows all required emergency procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Along with Aquatics Director/Head Lifeguard, assist in maintaining a safe environment, in accordance with all safety standards. Enforce all pool rules and be familiar with all emergency procedures.
- Assist in implementing developmentally appropriate activities, including assistance with swim lessons for various age groups.
- Assist in the supervision and discipline of campers participating in programs and services within the program area as well as throughout the clubhouse as deemed appropriate.
- Participate in collaborative programs, events, and field trips with staff from other clubhouse groups, staff from other BGCB clubhouses and community organizations as appropriate.
- Assessing our impact is critical to our work. All staff is expected to participate in various evaluation efforts throughout each program year, including the annual member survey.
- Secure and maintain materials, equipment and other resources belonging to the program area(s). Maintain a safe and clean program area(s).
- Travel between sites and to activities as needed.
- Other related duties as specified by the Aquatics Director.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demand :
- Must be 16+ years of age.
- Current American Red Cross CPR, First Aid and Advanced Lifesaving certification required.
- Experience as a lifeguard preferred; at minimum, experience working with children/youth.
- Knowledge of youth development principles.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Job Type: Seasonal Summer
Schedule: M-F 9:00 am -4:00 pm (Summer Camp Program - end of June to end of August)
Pay Rate: $20-$24 per hour (based on experience), eligible for a $500 sign-on and $500 end of summer bonus (see policy for terms)
Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston requires all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with State and Federal Laws, employees who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious objection may qualify for an exemption to this requirement.