Role & Responsibilities
Lead the Monitoring, evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Department. Ensure that MEAL systems are consistently integrated and implemented throughout Medair’s programme activities. This involves: creating, developing, and supporting programme teams to use Monitoring, Evaluation, accountability & Learning (MEAL) systems to collect, aggregate and analyse data including facility and project data as well as household surveys; and playing a key role in ensuring that the reporting needs of key stakeholders are met on time. In liaison with the beneficiary accountability focal point, they champion beneficiary accountability within the organisation and work with programme staff to ensure that beneficiary feedback is taken into account at all stages of project design and implementation.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced and/or epidemic, conflict affected and vulnerable populations in the DRC. WASH interventions in health centres and as part of a health emergency response. Infrastructure, opening humanitarian access to remote areas. Nutrition programming integrated into health, but also in areas of emergency or with high rates of malnutrition.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
M&E System Design & Implementation
- Lead the development & oversee the roll-out of a country-level monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning system, ensuring quality programming and accountability to beneficiaries and donors. Define specific M&E processes, procedures, methodologies and tools in line with Medair M&E guidelines and donor requirements, which innovative approaches.
- Oversee the development and management of learning systems and ensure that learning is incorporated across projects.
- Plan and effectively manage M&E team, activities and budget and ensure timely implementation of all M&E activities through the development of an integrated country-level M&E work plan and effective resource management.
- Provide technical M&E support to the management team and provide input in the design and evaluation of the country strategy. Responsible for all survey data collection and planning, analysis, and report writing.
- Identify and address shortfalls in monitoring, evaluation and information management that could impact on quality program implementation. Train programmes staff on MEAL tools, data collection and basic surveying and sampling techniques
IM System Development & Management
- Work with IMO to develop and standardize survey tools and other data collection forms for monitoring programmes.
- Support the establishment and management of a country-level information management system to improve efficiency and enhance uptake of data utilization among Project Staff and by management.
- Propose information management solutions for enhanced efficiency through streamlined processes, automation and digitization of M&E tools. Support capacity development of M&E and Project staff on key IM tools (ODK, Qlik, DHIS2, etc.)
Data Management, Analysis and Reporting
- Lead the development, roll out and implementation of harmonized digital data collection and data management tools that use open source IM solutions to accurately collect, monitor and verify project data and document program activities.
- Maintain a centralized data management system that enhances accurate data capturing of all projects as well as easy retrieval, extraction and analysis for project teams and management.
- Establish an inventory of reliable secondary data sources of key statistics to contribute to project design and M&E.
- Lead annual progress reporting/beneficiary counting and support internal and external reporting.
- Coordinate and guide the design of internal and external periodic surveys and evaluations (KAP, KPC, SMART, SQUEAC, needs assessments, rapid assessments, baseline and endline survey, Post-Distribution, etc.) with GSO technical advisors.
- Coordinate internal and external surveys and lead/support data review and analysis, with a strong emphasis on learning. Identify, elaborate plans for and lead opportunities for action research and impact evaluations.
- Participate in country quarterly and strategy meetings, and provide input into the design and evaluation of the country strategy. Lead the development and implementation of a country-level quality assurance system.
- Oversee quality assurance of all field data collection exercises, data management and analysis and develop effective and efficient methods and approaches for data collection and analysis.
- Routinely undertake data quality control checks through regular field visits and provide feedback and recommendations to relevant parties to improve project implementation.
- Strengthen data integrity by supporting M&E and Project staff to collect correct, complete and valid data and identify potential breaches in data integrity and application of corrective measures.
- Support the design of logical frameworks and M&E plans for new proposals and ensure they are aligned to Medair and donor M&E guidelines. Advise on the inclusion of M&E resources and activities in new project proposals.
- Ensure that lessons learned and recommendations related to monitoring, evaluation and accountability are documented, shared and factored in the design of new projects and discussed during periodic program reviews.
Beneficiary Accountability / Donor Communications
- Work collaboratively and support the role of Senior Leader in charge of Quality Assurance and Accountability. Work and support the role of Focal Point for Accountability to Affected People (AAP).
- Work collaboratively and support the role of Focal Point for Beneficiaries Data Annual Reporting.
- Promote the principles and practices of beneficiary accountability to colleagues in support of the beneficiary accountability focal point, providing training and coaching in beneficiary feedback.
- Provide support for project managers, with input from field and GSO sector advisors, to develop MEAL elements of donor proposals and reports, including provision of monitoring plans, project data, and reports on progress towards indicators.
- Direct line-manage the senior IM officer and line manage the M&E Officers in the field on the technical side. Line manage any additional temporary or surge capacity staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, training, appraisals, etc.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and GSO teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate Degree in public health, international development or other relevant social science.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Swahili is an asset.
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- 2 years of management including report writing.
- 2 years of experience managing a humanitarian M&E system including supervising household surveys.
- Experience designing, planning, implementing, analysing and writing reports for household surveys
- Experience using some of the following: DHIS, SPSS, STATA, EPI-INFO and/or SMART –ENA software.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, team player, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills. Coaching and training skills.