As Vice President of Communications & Marketing, you will serve as a leader of our small team by creating and executing a communications strategy that advances our unique mission. This new role will focus on raising the profile of a start-up advocacy organization, RISE INDY, increasing engagement with our key stakeholders, and ultimately influencing public opinion in service of our community-driven policy and campaign goals. This is an in-person role, based in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Major areas of responsibility include:
Strategic Communications Leadership
- Develop a strategic communications plan aligned to organizational goals that is grounded in evidence-based messaging to reach key audiences
- Lead communications projects and campaigns, tracking metrics and reporting on progress to funders and partners
- Manage a small communications team, including consultants (1-3), to ensure effective coordination of work and effective use of internal and consulting resources
- Coordinate with key partners to ensure alignment on strategy and messages
Content Creation and Storytelling
- Create core messaging that effectively communicates our mission, core values, and priorities
- Plan, write, and design communications materials, telling stories that elevate current issues, organizational successes, and the voices of the families we serve
- Develop media relationships and draft, pitch, and deliver compelling stories in local media
- Plan owned and earned media content, including managing and moderating social media posts, blog posts, and op-eds
- Lead content development and creative direction on marketing collateral and reports
- Strong candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- An unwavering commitment to community-driven change and advancing racial equity
- Experience working with diverse communities
- 10+ years of professional experience, including leadership experience in public relations, communications, politics/advocacy, and/or related field
- Electoral campaign experience (press secretary/communications director) strongly preferred
- Dexterity in rapid response/crisis communications
- Experience developing, communicating and managing complex communications and marketing campaigns across a variety of diverse stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of local media opportunities and demonstrated ability to cultivate a strong local media network; successful track record pitching and placing stories
- Skilled in transforming complex problems and ideas into compelling oral and written communications, with a portfolio of work demonstrating effective storytelling across mediums and channels (particularly in education or relevant issue areas such as healthcare, workforce development, housing, etc.)
- Experience managing social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn), websites, email marketing campaigns, and graphic design efforts
- Ideal candidate is a flexible and adaptable executor with an entrepreneurial spirit
Six values guide RISE’s culture and our work together:
- Passion: We lead with our hearts and minds in the pursuit of excellence for students and families.
- Excellence: We hold ourselves to a high standard of work for our community.
- Humility: We are in service to something greater than ourselves.
- Respect: We honor the lived experiences of all we encounter.
- Honesty: We speak truth in all situations, no matter the outcome.
- Accountability: We are clear on agreements and responsible for outcomes in our work with coalitions, community, and each other.
Three core education ideas guide all of our conversations, advocacy, and actions. We have built strong, diverse coalitions who share these values and are committed to collaborative, community-centered work to build a prosperous, inclusive, anti-racist, safe, and interconnected city.
- Students will be centered in all education discussions.
- Families should be empowered to choose and advocate for what’s best for their children.
- Educators should have autonomy and flexibility to meet the needs of students.
We recognize the power and significance of having a diverse team that represents the communities our work impacts. We encourage candidates of color, first-generation college graduates, bilingual people, and others to apply.