American Humane is seeking a Donor Relations Associate to help support American Humane major gifts programs and fundraising initiatives. This position will based in our Palm Beach office. American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the bond between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Donor Relations Associate is responsible for supporting the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of current and prospective individual, corporate and foundation donors as they seek to learn more about and provide support to the mission and programming of American Humane. The Associate works closely and collaboratively with the events team, executive office, major gift officers and other staff to foster donor relationships for the purpose of furthering the mission of the organization. The Associate’s responsibilities will continue to evolve as the organization and development team grow but will revolve around: event execution and follow-up, data entry and management and relationship management.
- Work collaboratively with the events team and executive office to plan, coordinate, implement and follow-up from organizational events in the local Palm Beach area during season and elsewhere across the country throughout the year; this includes working with a wide range of stakeholders, including planning committees, staff, volunteers, vendors and donors to ensure successful events and meetings.
- In addition to coordinating events during the Palm Beach season:
- Take the lead in coordinating scheduling for the Sanctuary calendar of events.
- Help coordinate various events and donor visits at American Humane’s Sanctuary in West Palm Beach, working with the CEO, Events Manager, development team and Sanctuary and program staff.
- Work closely with the Events Manager to help coordinate American Humane’s annual Hero Dog Awards® gala in Palm Beach, various cultivation events leading up to the gala and gala follow-up.
- Support the cultivation and stewardship of major gift, corporate and foundation prospects for gift officers and leadership through the coordination of pre- and post-event follow-up.
- Proactively coordinate closely with executive and development team members to provide post-event support by tracking and reporting donations and preparing follow up correspondence with attendees.
- Generate high quality, written correspondence, which could include anything from writing and preparing mail merges, assembling and sending mass mailings to sending handwritten, individualized thank you notes.
- Support the entering and tracking of all events-related activities, actions, call reports and deadlines in Raisers Edge Database and other tracking systems.
- On an ongoing basis, record and deposit donations as needed, coordinating closely with the development and accounting teams.
- As assigned, participate in selected meetings, dinners and events in the greater-Palm Beach community to represent and raise awareness of American Humane.
- Compile and manage RSVP and guest lists as needed; work with Development team to conduct prospect research on event attendees as needed.
- Maintain inventory of Palm Beach office supplies and donor materials.
- Assist in answering mainline, office and donor phone lines, responding to general inquiries.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Demonstrate drive and an ownership mentality.
- Has a self-disciplined, action-oriented style with strong work ethic and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and high detail orientation.
- Possess a client service attitude, the ability to think on your feet and maintain a positive demeanor.
- Experience identifying and supporting the cultivation and stewardship of high-level donors preferred.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; effectively multitasks and proactively manages concurrent projects and responsibilities; meets deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite- Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with donor database (Raiser’s Edge) preferred and ability to quickly learn new technologies quickly.
- Strong written (including proof reading and editing) and oral communication skills, including the ability to briefly summarize the essence of issues and means to address them. Uses appropriate grammar in verbal or written form.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Self-directed to take action and resolve issues.
- Makes appropriate decisions or choices based on understanding alternative courses of action and potential repercussions.
- Ability to adapt and change in role as organization grows.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Hybrid position based in the greater Palm Beach area with time expected to be spent at various locations, including the Palm Beach office and Sanctuary in West Palm Beach. Remote telework will be based on organizational policy, need and manager discretion.
- Must be comfortable with animals, particularly dogs, at work sites and at events.
- Ability to transport, lift and carry supplies weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Local travel with personal vehicle will be required; some national travel may be required.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone, computer and in person.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.