iMentor is seeking a Director of Equity (DE) to lead the ongoing design and implementation of the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work throughout the organization. Reporting to the Chief Talent and Equity Officer (CTEO), the DE will join iMentor’s national team and will be responsible for shaping the DEI vision and strategy as well as researching, defining, and codifying DEI best practices that prepare iMentor staff, students, and mentors to embody and execute on our work through a DEI lens. In partnership with the Talent and the DEI core teams, the DE will assess iMentor’s DEI progress to date and establish a clear understanding of barriers to engaging in transformative DEI work across a high-impact national organization. The DE will ultimately drive iMentor’s exploration of the implications and benefits of becoming an anti-racist, social justice organization.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience leading internal DEI efforts for a non-profit organization or social and/or racial justice enterprise. The candidate will also have exceptional communication skills, strategy development, and process improvement experience with demonstrated skills leading discussions with individuals/groups with differing perspectives around sensitive issues and controversial topics.
- With the Chief Talent and Equity Officer, co-create annual and long-term DEI strategic goals for the organization, set benchmarks and chart the path to goal year-over-year.
- Perform a needs assessment of core functions, systems, structures, and policies across national and regional offices.
- Set clear priorities and measures of success for the next 12 months, revising annually as needed.
- Align with Executive Leadership team on vision and strategy.
- Provide coaching, strategic thought partnership, and liaison support to regions, senior leaders, and people managers empowering them to set and achieve team-specific DEI goals.
- Successfully partner with external DEI consultants as needed.
- Differentiate DEI work for various stakeholders, including staff, students, mentors, and Board of Directors.
- Become one of the strongest champions of DEI, core values, and culture integration at iMentor.
- Research and share diversity and inclusion related data, efforts, trends and innovations.
- Own, develop, and manage org-wide DEI program and capacity building efforts inclusive of leadership competencies that help to foster a culture of inclusion.
- Design, facilitate and/or identify trainings for staff development with a focus on developing managers and create practices the ensure an inclusive, positive experience for all staff.
- Ensure systems and processes are designed and executed to support DEI initiatives, and to capture and analyze DEI data.
- Provide thought partnership on diversity and culture surveys, skillfully communicating results to others.
- Advise and support the DEI Council and Affinity Groups
- Support the cultivation of broad and diverse talent pipelines to attract both active and passive candidates coming from underrepresented groups.
- Collaborate with Talent recruitment team to implement bias in hiring training and ensure that search practices and procedures are equitable and inclusive.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including at least 2 years advancing DEI strategy across a large, multi-layered organization.
- Deep understanding of the concepts related to diversity, equity, inclusion as well as the contexts and cultures within organizations that impact the implementation and management of effective change efforts.
- Clear commitment and value alignment to DEI and a demonstrated track record of championing equity and building a culture of equity.
- Strong project management experience, with demonstrated success setting goals and milestones and managing to the achievement of ambitious goals, as well as leading others to achieve the same success.
- Ability to consult, advise, communicate and work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders and communities across diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Solid facilitation experience, specifically focused on adult learners
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with expertise in translating data into action and improvements.
- Open to feedback with evidence of handling sensitive situations with positive outcomes for the organization.
- Believes in the philosophy of a learning organization.
- Extremely adaptable, entrepreneurial, and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values).
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within iMentor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background check, conducted by the Division of Human Resources at the New York City Department of Education.