The Center for Sustainable Careers (CSC) is a program of the non-profit Civic Works. CSC expands access to family-sustaining careers for Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities. We support Baltimore residents in building the skills needed to secure quality employment, and employers around investing in their workers and advancing equity across their practices. CSC does this through a three-part model of hands-on learning, on-the-job training and job quality advancement. We have sector-based career tracks in solar installation and utility infrastructure. Each solar student completes paid on-the-job training (OJT) through CSC’s social enterprise. The job quality initiative then expands employment access and quality among partner employers by promoting the adoption of inclusive hiring policies, family-sustaining wages, equitable workplace practices, and career ladder strategies. This program model has proven powerfully successful. Since 2003, more than 1,000 people have graduated from CSC. The program maintains an average job placement rate of 90% and starting wages begin at $17 per hour.
The Center for Sustainable Career’ innovative work has been highlighted by the White House, the National Fund for Workforce Solutions, Green for All, The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post, and the US Conference of Mayors. Join us in creating a more just and equitable green economy. For more information, please visit http://sustainablecareers.civicworks.com/.
The Coordinator will drive the continuous development and expansion of the training program. This will involve developing new training tracks and skills modules, and managing our participant feedback loop to guide program improvements. The Coordinator will also build program capacity by strengthening program policies and procedures, developing supportive systems for operations, and coordinating the hire and onboarding of new training staff.
This role will build the program’s long-term sustainability, and continue the program’s expansion into new initiatives through a racial equity and inclusion lens.
- Support the Development of the Training Program
- Develop and implement a long-term strategic plan for the Training Program’s development and expansion.
- Create and maintain curriculum for in-house instruction.
- Maintain current training provider accreditations and obtain new accreditations as needed.
- Develop new incumbent worker training modules to support graduate career advancement and promote racial equity and inclusion.
- Develop new training tracks and modules that lead to family-sustaining careers for program participants, obtaining feedback from employers on skills and knowledge needs to inform curriculum development.
- Facilitate team-wide meetings centered on program development and expansion.
- Manage continuous improvement projects and monitor progress on their implementation.
- Support the planning and coordination of Job Quality projects and initiatives, in addition to incorporating a Job Quality lens into the Training Program’s ongoing work.
- Manage and Expand Feedback Loop with Program Participants
- Drive the continuous improvement and development of the Training Program through the development of our feedback loop with program participants.
- Design surveys and other methods of data collection to obtain relevant feedback from participants.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data sets to determine program impact and areas for continuous improvement.
- Synthesize key findings and communicate back to Training Program staff.
- Lead process of incorporating participant feedback into the continuous improvement of the Training Program.
- Improve how the Training Program incorporates data-driven practices into its ongoing work.
- Strengthen Program Policies and Procedures
- Manage the development, review and revisions of internal policies.
- Streamline program operations by mapping existing processes and making recommendations to ensure efficiency and role clarity around team members’ areas of responsibility.
- Cross-collaborate with the Business Development Coordinator for CSC’s Energy Programs to set consistent standards and practices across the program as a whole.
- Coordinate with Training Program staff to provide support around On-the-Job Training (OJT) as needed.
- Coordinate the Recruitment, Hiring and Onboarding of New Staff
- Create written recruitment materials including job descriptions and calls for applications.
- Publish listings on Paycom and other relevant job boards such as Idealist.
- Screen candidates for key competencies and assess their fitness for open positions.
- Schedule interviews with candidates, liaising with other relevant staff as needed.
- Conduct first-round phone interviews and relay feedback to other relevant staff.
- Participate in follow-up interviews and conduct reference checks as needed.
- Assist the Recruitment team with planning and improving social media outreach.
- Perform other duties as assigned or as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Prior experience developing policies and procedures and/or curriculum
- Experience designing surveys, conducting interviews, analyzing and reporting data preferred
- Experience taking ownership of projects and initiatives and collaborating with the necessary stakeholders to attain goals and objectives
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Google Suite required
- Experience with FormTitan, SurveyMonkey or other surveying platforms preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent professional writing, proofreading, research and strategic-thinking skills required
- Strong initiative and creativity, and able to excel while working independently
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with an eye for quality
- Comfortable starting up new projects and guiding the continuous improvement of ongoing projects using stakeholder feedback
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success
- Ability to recognize problems, develop innovative solutions and implement them
- Effective verbal communication and meeting facilitation skills required