Established in 1955 by six visionary New England governors, the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is a regional compact that helps leaders assess, develop and implement education practices and policies of regional significance; promotes regional cooperation that encourages efficient sharing of education resources; and strengthens the relationship between higher education and the regional economy.
NEBHE values a diverse team of individuals and a collaborative workplace that support its goals to understand the diverse needs of the region’s learners and to provide leadership, programs and services that increase equity in postsecondary education outcomes.
Based in downtown Boston, NEBHE is a nonpartisan, non-profit organization. It conducts its business in a hybrid manner and expects staff to work in the office 3 days a week.
The Director of Policy & Research plays a leadership role in the organization and executes the policy and research team’s work and maintains a strong sense of organizational priorities. A successful candidate thinks critically, communicates complex ideas and technical information in easy to understand ways, works independently as well as in a team, and finds a little fun in their work. Moreover, the Director will have expertise in state and/or federal policymaking, a strong research and analysis background and the ability to engage a cross-section of stakeholders, including legislators, higher education leaders, funders and employers.
Essential Job Functions
Management & Coordination
1. Directs all activities of the Policy & Research team and executes workplans, staff assignments and standards of quality to ensure all projects are completed and aligned with organization’s priorities
2. Interviews, screens, select and recommends applicants for vacant positions within the unit and evaluates employee performance and makes recommendations for promotions, performance increases, or disciplinary action to senior management
3. Advises the president and other senior staff on policy, program and administrative matters
4. Organizes, allocates, and manages financial resources of the unit and recommends and oversees consultant subcontracts and other internal and external commitments of the organization's resources
Research, Writing & Information Dissemination
1. Anticipates emerging issues and interprets policy developments, assesses their importance to the states, institutions and legislatures, and initiates research, technical assistance or other appropriate efforts in response.
3. Reviews, edits, and critiques the substance and quality of research and writing assignments of subordinate staff
4. Drives NEBHE’s employability, skills and workforce agenda, engaging business, government and postsecondary education through timely labor market analysis, skills initiatives and other research and collaborations
Meetings, Consulting & Technical Assistance
1. Directs and oversees primary NEBHE engagements with stakeholders, including state higher education executive officers and other state higher education commissions and policy-making entities and their staff members
2. Manages, delegates, or directs key meetings and convenings and coordinates the work of subordinate professional staff
3. Plans, assigns, reviews, and coordinates complex, large-scale, multistate projects and technical assistance efforts, often requiring complex political judgments, a high degree of responsiveness to constituents, and a mature sense of organization priorities and concerns
4. Acts as project director for current grant-funded initiatives on credential transparency, digital skills development and micro credentialing and works to ensure that deliverables are met, working collaboratively with partner organizations
1. Identifies initiates and develops resources to carry out the unit's activities and functions, including developing proposals for foundations and other funders and personally handles most sensitive negotiations and high-level contacts with potential funding entities.
2. Supports the development of other NEBHE meetings, conferences and events.
3. Staffs and oversee the organization’s Policy and Legislative Advisory Committees
4. Participates in organization-wide activities related to Equity & Inclusion, including training, staff committees and personal development
● 5+ years of relevant, progressive work experience in higher education, workforce development, state policy or similar fields
● Experience conducting social science research, both quantitative, comparative analysis and survey research methodology and tools
● Expert on major issues and challenges facing higher education and the regional economy
● Experience in developing unit initiatives, project ideas and new services, funding opportunities, and new resources
● Strong personnel supervision skills (i.e., planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating work) and budget and project management
● Knowledge of, and experience with, postsecondary education credentialing work, such as credential transparency, industry-recognized credentials, micro credentials and badging, etc.
● Experience with labor market analysis tools such as Emsi Burning Glass and producing research related to in-demand skills and labor market trends
● High level of familiarity with information and data sources related to P-16 education, higher education, the economy and demographics
● Substantial knowledge of state legislatures and intergovernmental policy processes
● Strong ability to communicate technical, complex or unfamiliar information to a variety of audiences through writing, visual or oral presentation
● Well organized, with keen attention to detail
● High-level proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, especially Excel
● Proficiency with project management (e.g., Asana and Slack) and data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau)
● Knowledge website development and design, preferred
● Master’s degree in higher education or related field, preferred
● A sense of humor and ability to work collaboratively
The position will require supervision of Policy & Research staff and interns.
$85,000-105,000, commensurate with experience
Established in 1955 by six visionary New England governors, the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is a regional compact that helps leaders assess, develop and implement education practices and policies of…
Medical & dental insurance, life Insurance, disability, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account, vacation leave, 12 paid holidays, educational opportunities and more.
Medical & dental insurance, life Insurance, disability, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account, vacation leave, 12 paid holidays…