Operations Manager Job Description
Wags & Walks is a 501c3 nonprofit dog rescue in Los Angeles. We are a community of dog lovers working to promote shelter dogs as the best dogs in the world through advocacy of our unique family-friendly foster and adoption programs.
The Director of Operations is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations and functions of Wags & Walks and the entire adoption center and managing the team that helps make it all happen. This is a critical hire and this person will work directly with senior leadership. This job requires an outgoing, enthusiastic and highly organized people manager, who can manage multiple competing priorities and an array of hourly and salary employees.
The ideal candidate has worked in people management positions in the past, especially in the retail, restaurant, animal care or in a fast paced office environment. The person in this position will need to know how to tactfully manage people through complex problems, difficult situations and be a clear and direct communicator.
This person will be a critical part of the team, and will provide guidance and feedback to Wags & Walks leadership and at times the board of directors. Below is a list of some of the core responsibilities, outlined by category.
- Manage a dozen direct reports, which cover a variety of functions on the operating teams, many of which will be new to this person.
- Conduct regularly scheduled 1:1s with direct reports, and monthly meetings with larger teams.
- Has a can-do hands-on and gritty attitude around people management. Doesn’t mind jumping in and doing anything from an adoption to cleaning the bathroom.
- Provide feedback, guidance and mentorship to the Wags & Walks staff and communicate progress with direct reports back to the leadership team.
- Lead by example and remain calm, balanced and pragmatic during stressful and emotional situations.
- Responsible for hiring, training and firing of Wags & Walks employees and independent contractors.
- Has basic knowledge of California labor laws, including: payroll, benefits administration, COBRA, FMLA and separation.
- Proven ability to retain employees, build lasting relationships and influence culture in a positive and meaningful manner.
- Anticipate future staffing needs by working with team leads, and evaluating demand trends. Utilize cost benefit analysis to make cases for if, when and type
- Conduct annual reviews for direct reports utilizing annual review templates.
- Work cross functionally with each team member on process improvement, process creation, and process implementation.
- Constantly challenge internal and external change. Communicate challenges and opportunities with leadership and relentlessly improve operating processes.
- Regularly review and make additions to SOPs and use data and analytics to make informed decisions.
- Pull metrics and reports for various teams as needed. Utilize Wags data to create and expand upon OKRs and KPIs.
- Support in keeping Wags financials up to date, by working closely with our external bookkeepers, accountants and auditors as needed.
- Use sound judgment when making decisions that will impact the bottom line of Wags. Understands how to read and interpret a P&L to make sound business decisions.
- Create monthly and quarterly reports for the leadership team and board of directors.
- Hold the entire organization accountable for hitting financial goals by keeping an eye on revenue, expenses and all line items.
- Must be a dog lover and possess some knowledge of basic dog behavior and needs. Must be willing to get your hands dirty, be flexible and reliable.
- Must have excellent customer service experience, proven attention to detail, good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be a team player and have a positive attitude. Personable, professional, upbeat and energetic.
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a diverse community in a professional, pleasant, respectful manner and use good judgement.
- Must be gritty, exceptional with people and exhibit a calm demeanor during periods of stressful situations.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in a similar or comparable position.
- Must be able to sit at a desk in front of a computer for several hours. Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs to help move kennel crates, dog food, and other supplies.
- Must have proficiency with computers including word, excel, slack and google docs.
- Must have a current and valid California Driver’s License.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.