Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
Joining a dynamic team of educators, the Managing Director of School Operations will oversee the six school-based Operations Directors and be the primary link to the centralized Network team which provides Compliance, Technology and other support to the schools. The ideal candidate has extensive experience as a director of a charter school’s operations team as well as management experience on a network-level operations team. This person has broad knowledge and deep experience in quality operations as well as a sense of urgency around how strong systems and procedures directly relate to student achievement results, and a passionate commitment to quality. They will work closely with the Operations Directors at each school and the network education leadership team to implement and contribute to the continual improvement of HVA’s school operations teams.
The Managing Director of School Operations will execute high-impact initiatives, including improving strategic processes and working directly with the Senior Education Leadership Team to craft and execute plans against yearly operational objectives. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Manage Operations Directors, ensuring that they are effectively leading high quality school operations that support instruction inclusive of daily school systems, assessments, facilities, financial management, food & transportation, student & staff culture, enrollment management, etc..
- Set the approach and vision for operational metrics, oversee change management and report on operational data on a regular cadence; manage Operations Directors and their teams against performance metrics to improve effectiveness and support them to meet their goals.
- Support the hiring, onboarding and training of operations staff, including Operations Directors and school-based operations teams and develop a strategic plan to increase the operations talent pipeline. Track operational data from the schools to identify specific areas of growth by schools; tailor professional development based on need and opportunities.
- Provide the high-level strategic vision and project management for critical initiatives to support operational excellence across all schools including compliance, annual student recruitment and enrollment and COVID-19 response.
- Design and implement seamless, effective, and repeatable operational processes across all areas of the organization that support our schools.
- Manage a Network-level Director of Enrollment and Operations Project Manager.
Cross Functional Leadership
- Drive cross-functional coordination with school operations, developing and facilitating processes for school operations support from Network teams (e.g., Data, IT, Finance) to ensure that all schools have robust systems and appropriate support.
- Partner with other network partners and school leaders to foster the consistent implementation of school operations priorities; identifying areas of improvements across the organization and using data, experience, and best practices to provide creative solutions.
- Wear multiple hats as a part of a small network team, supporting the work of others on the education leadership team and taking on new projects and tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 9+ years of operational experience preferred; minimum 3+ years experience managing a team of direct reports required
- Experience in leadership development with strong consulting and coaching skills and supporting managers of people;
- Strategic and systems-thinking; capacity to envision, plan and implement new systems, projects, and practices that dramatically improve school operations;
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based upon trust, respect, effective communication, and shared goals and fostering a culture based on restorative practices;
- Entrepreneurial, creativity and a solutions mindset; is adaptable and flexible to a fast-paced, high-intensity environment, with the ability to manage competing priorities and use good judgement through ambiguity;
- A mindset of excellence; attention to detail, and insistence on quality; a sense of personal accountability for results and experience holding a team to high standards.
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence, and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.