The Assistant Director of Donor Engagement will play an integral role in Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston (BGCB)’s fundraising efforts by building relationships and securing gifts from BGCB’s Board of Trustees, donors, and prospects who give at the $1,000+ level. They will be the primary contact for the Board of Trustees, developing and planning engagement opportunities, communications, and meetings that inspire members to deepen their connection to BGCB. In addition to effectively managing a portfolio of donors, core responsibilities also include organizing and implementing strategies to recognize, retain, and attract donors through meaningful touchpoints and events.
BGCB is offering a $1,000 Sign-on Bonus! - Terms apply.
Our Mission: The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston is to help young people, especially those who need us most, build strong character and realize their full potential as responsible citizens and leaders. We do this by providing: a safe haven filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adults, and life-enhancing programs.
- Youth First – We keep children and teens at the forefront of every action and decision to elevate members’ voices.
- Integrity – We conduct ourselves with honesty and transparency and strive to do the right thing, every day, and every time.
- Community – We foster an inclusive culture by celebrating diversity and respecting the inherent dignity and worth of everyone.
- Equity – We commit to providing opportunities to create just outcomes that honor the needs, experiences, and values of our community, especially those with marginalized identities.
- Innovation – We apply a forward-thinking approach that encourages teamwork, adaptability, strategy, intention, and creativity to address today’s challenges and build positive futures for all members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Board of Trustees
- In collaboration with Chair of the Board of Trustees, staff, and leadership, manage and cultivate strong relationships with 140+ members.
- Monitor Trustee giving, coordinate appeals, and directly solicit individuals for their annual financial commitments.
- Plan and implement a robust calendar of meetings, events, and engagement opportunities for Board of Trustees and Trustee Leadership Council.
- Staff the Trustee Leadership Council by coordinating meetings, communications, and outreach.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Planned Giving and Donor Relations on Governance and Board Diversity Subcommittee meetings and materials related to the Trustees, and in preparing Chair of the Board of Trustees for participation in those committees.
- Develop materials and lead orientations for new members of BGCB’s Boards in partnership with the Senior Director of Planned Giving and Donor Relations.
- Actively manage a portfolio of prospects and donors at the $1,000+ level through thoughtful cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship goals accomplished through in person/virtual visits, Club tours, phone calls, etc.
- Achieve at least 5 donor and prospect meetings a month.
- Engage in research and utilize existing information to successfully leverage relationships.
- Work with Nicholas President and CEO, EVP of Development and Marketing, development team, Club leadership and staff, and volunteers to build strategies to increase donor engagement and philanthropy to BGCB.
- Maintain donor activities, meetings, appeals, actions, and next steps in Raiser’s Edge.
- Complete gift forms, review weekly gift reports, and write proposals and acknowledgement letters.
- Work with development team to achieve annual fundraising goals and complete other duties as assigned.
Donor Engagement and Recognition
- Manage, implement, and monitor strategies to build upon donor retention, acquisition, and recognition to help increase revenue across all giving levels.
- Includes launching of new giving societies, bi-annual stewardship initiatives, ensuring fulfillment and distribution of donor recognition gifts, planning Club tours, and assisting with coordination of special recognition dinners, programming updates, and speaker series, in collaboration with other frontline fundraisers and the Marketing, Donor Relations, and Events teams.
- Develop content, communicate with outside vendors as needed, monitor budgets, work closely with Club and operations staff and the Events and Marketing teams.
- Work closely with Donor Relations and Marketing teams to ensure success of initiatives and conduct a donor survey to evaluate program and ensure timely delivery of all communications.
- Support special projects including printing and framing photos, ordering, and designing plaques, awards, branded items, and other recognition vehicles for giving societies.
- Manage and organize the Sandra M. Edgerley Family Engagement Series by working with Development and Marketing team and Club staff to host volunteer events and projects.
- Responsibilities include organizing mailing lists, developing timelines, submitting data and project request forms, circulating materials for review, preparing briefings, assigning roles and responsibilities, and tracking attendance in Raiser’s Edge.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a minimum of 3-5 years of fundraising experience.
- Interest and commitment to BGCB’s mission.
- Proven track record of soliciting and closing gifts of $1,000 or more.
- Excellent organizational, planning, implementation, and follow-through skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with a variety of audiences, including senior management, Club leadership, donors, BGCB Board members, partners, volunteers, staff at all levels, and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to make decisions, flexibility, sense of humor, and enjoys being part of a team.
- Excellent writing, analytical, time management, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Raiser’s Edge required.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Motivated to work in a fast-paced and energetic environment that will require some early morning, evening, and weekend work.
- Must be able to work remotely effectively and have access to Wi-Fi.
General BGCB Expectations
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Job Type: Full Time