Role & Responsibilities
The Finance Manager oversees the financial activities of the programme mainly in Ukraine (90%) and will have oversight for the financial activities in Poland as well (10%). The Finance Manager carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, GSO, field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required. The Finance Manager must be willing to travel to all offices Medair supports in Ukraine.
The purpose of Medair’s multi-sector relief programme in Ukraine is to save lives and alleviate human suffering by working in emergency response locations, with vulnerable populations and providing essential life-saving health, WASH, shelter/infrastructure, NFI/CVA, protection and mental health and psychosocial services.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field position based in Ukraine.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a regular basis. Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion. Detailing expenditure through monthly expense sheets for all cash accounts.
- Preparing the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met. Preparing the monthly financial accounts.
- Supporting field bases in financial matters. Providing functional supervision to Finance Officer in field locations.
- Liaising with the GSO Finance Specialist as required and specifically as issues arise or when changes occur to the policies and procedures for financial operations.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis, communicating with the relevant programme managers about any under / over spend and working with them to agree appropriate actions required in order to bring spending in line with approved budgets.
- Ensure that the Medair financial procedure is followed as part of internal control monitoring.
- Preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs with Budget holders and GSO staffs.
- Contribute to the financial management of signed donor grants working in close coordination with FP at GSO, PFM, CD, DCD and HCP in the preparation and submission of new donor proposal.
- Prepare and deliver financial activity reports within the required timeframe (e.g. monthly, interim, final) and in the stated format in order to meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, GSO or other bodies.
- Country Programme focal point for IRS and NRS staff Labour report (LR) monthly exercise. Gathering signed LR templates from each FO within field locations every month and control before submitting to the FS at GSO.
- Proceed to the monthly closing of all bases in country in the timeline communicated by GSO (Book expenses from Field Connect to Nav, allocate IRS and NRS salaries, allocate the prepayments, etc.).
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reconciliations with GSO FS as well as Government financial reports.
- Meet financial related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislations, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders so that the financial aspect of programme functions is handle with integrity.
- Work with HR to ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and subsequently paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the GSO Programme Finance Partner (FP) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Organise and develop the processes required for the financial aspects of the programme to function effectively.
- Ensure that clear and transparent paper trails are in place for all financial transaction and that records including archive systems are kept in line with Medair internal policies while meeting donor requirements.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc. Providing functional supervision to Finance Officer in field locations.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Provide training, advice, mentoring and coaching as required to all relevant staff on financial management, procedures, internal controls and financial requirements of donors.
- Manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part 2 (or equivalent) completed.
- Excellent working knowledge of the English language (speaking and writing).
- At least 2 years relevant professional experience within a financial position.
- High numeracy skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent attention to detail. Good document writing skills.
- Able to manage own work and resources in a way that meets time bound objectives.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.