· Fiesta Educativa was founded in 1978 by family members and professionals to inform and assist Latino families in obtaining services and in caring for their children with special needs.
· It is the largest Latino nonprofit in California that is dedicated to empowering Latino families of persons with special needs through education, training referral, information, and advocacy services.
· Key event: Annual Statewide Conference in Los Angeles
Other projects include:
· Yearly regional conferences in Riverside, San Bernardino, Sacramento, Orange County, San Jose, San Diego, Autism Education Project and Autism Conference at the Mexican Consulate, a partnership with a counterpart Chinese American organization that trains parents on special education advocacy
· “Fiestas Familiares” (“Family Parties”) in homes of families to discuss key topics such as special education eligibility and access to Regional Center services conducted in Spanish with food and music.
Who benefits from Fiesta Educativa?
Parents and professionals who work with persons with disabilities such as, but not limited to:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Mental Retardation
- Physical Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities