Free Haven Community Initiative, Inc. (FHCI) is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) located in Livingstone Zambia that has four main areas of focus: Education, Health, Nutrition, and Empowerment.
In order for the Zambian NGO to be successful, a non-profit organization called Free Haven Community Initiative, Inc. was formed in America to assist its Zambian counterpart. By organizing fundraisers, processing donations, and handling marketing strategies, this partnership makes it possible for the Zambian-based NGO to carry out its day to day functions and focus on its primary goals.
The American non-profit is run by a board of directors. The people on this board volunteer their time to make the aforementioned tasks possible. In addition to the American team, the Zambian-based NGO has its own board of directors to manage the organization’s projects in Zambia.
To read more about us and our projects, visit fhcizambia.org
This board position is focused on leading the fundraising/fund development efforts of the organization. This role works closely with the NGO’s Campaign Manager to plan fundraising efforts and ensure they meet the financial needs of the organization.
General Board Duties
- Attend regular board meetings and other meetings as required
- Active Participation in Board meetings and committee related work and provide thoughtful inputs as needed
- Accept additional projects and tasks as required and accomplish them thoroughly and on time
- Keep up to date on board issues, plan ahead for meetings, and review minutes, reports, and other board documents
- Contribute to a positive work environment and help develop the team and organizational culture
- Participate in fundraising for the organization, working towards personally set goals
- Adhere to all board and organization agreements, rules, and bylaws
- Spread knowledge of the organization to family, friends, and others
- Donor relations (find new donors and engage current ones)
- Grow monthly financial donors
- Grow child sponsorship donors
- Work closely with Campaign Manager to plan annual fundraising calendar
- Work with CEO and Treasurer to ensure that fundraising targets are aligned with budget needs
- Grow and lead a team of volunteers to increase fundraising capacity
- Experience and/or great interest in fundraising
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills (the board operates in English)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills – willing to network and make connections with others
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, and take on leadership roles
- Motivated, self-starter able to work independently within set requirements
- Ability to work during your own time with limited autonomy
- Takes initiative with projects and finds ways to improve
- Critical thinker with strong problem-solving and research proficiencies
- Organized and detail oriented
- Experience building professional relationships
- A passion for mission-driven work
- Strong execution abilities
- Can consistently dedicate at least 5 to 10 hours per week
Benefits Of Volunteering With Us
- To work for social change
- To express personal gratitude
- To expand your knowledge
- To improve your community
- To build self esteem
- To develop leadership skills
- To demonstrate love for others
- To be a responsible citizen
- To learn new skills
- To build teamwork skills
- To enrich and give new meaning to life
- To have a good time
- To enhance resume
- To have some autonomy over your work
- To receive training, mentorship, and professional development
- To experience new challenges
- To have opportunities for quick advancement, with options to move into higher management roles
- To have a visible impact on growth of the organization
- To work with motivated people passionate about social issues
- To support the world's efforts to achieving the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals
- We also work hard to create a great experience for our volunteers by catering the opportunity based on their interests and skill sets. For each of our volunteers, we try to provide opportunities that suit what benefits volunteers are trying to get from volunteering with us, (beyond the benefit of making a difference in the lives of others). Some of these benefits include networking opportunities both internally and externally to our organization, building skills for a resume, or working on projects that interest the volunteer.
Good to Know
- We usually meet every three months for board meetings, usually morning hours in the U.S. EST time zone (1.5 - 2 hour meetings is standard). We have board members from all over the world, and adjust our times to accommodate everyone.
- We almost always meet on Sundays, sometimes Saturdays.
- We communicate using email and Facebook messenger. Our board meetings use Facebook messenger group calls.
- We are a small, but mighty team all dedicated to the growth of the organization. There are lots of opportunities to take on projects that will allow you to grow your skills, experience, networks and personal goals while contributing to the organization’s goals.