About Eden I&R/211 Alameda County
Eden I&R is a mid-size community-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Hayward, California, with an annual agency budget of approximately $4 million. Our largest program, 211 Alameda County, is a free, three-digit phone number that connects callers 24/7 with a live Community Resource Specialist who provides health, housing, and human services information. We envision a community empowered with information and connected to resources so that all people attain health, happiness, hope, and improved livelihoods.
The Board supports the work of Eden I&R and provides mission-based leadership, development assistance, and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Eden I&R’s Executive Director, the Board–Executive Director relationship is a partnership and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance, & Oversight
● Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as she develops and implements Eden I&R’s strategic plan
● Regularly measure Eden I&R’s performance and effectiveness using agreed-upon outcomes and metrics
● Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
● Approve Eden I&R’s annual budget, financial reports and material business decisions; be informed of, and meet all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
● Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
● Assist the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting potential board members
● Serve on committees or task forces and take on special assignments and ensure that board resolutions are carried out
● Ensure Eden I&R’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Eden I&R serves
Development & Fundraising
So that Eden I&R can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Eden I&R has a Give & Get policy where Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. With support from Eden I&R staff, Board members also actively fundraise to support the program’s operations in the following ways:
● Reaching out to their networks to leverage donations, in-kind resources and volunteers
● Acting as an ambassador for Eden I&R’s programs and sharing Eden I&R’s mission, goals and outcomes with potential individual, corporate and foundation funders
● Attending fundraising events and helping to support strong event outcomes
● Hosting a small event and/or supporting other board members in their efforts to do so
Board Terms & Participation
Eden I&R’s Board Members will serve a three-year term and are eligible for reappointment for an additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly, and committee meetings will be held monthly, as needed.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Eden I&R’s mission and our work to ensure community members are connected with the resources they need. Ideal Board Members have a background in business, government, philanthropy, education, or the nonprofit sector that allows him/her to attract funders, partners, program resources, and other qualified and committed Board Members.
Interested candidates with expertise in human resources, finance, publicity and marketing, strategic planning, donor cultivation, fundraising, and/or event planning are strongly encouraged to inquire.
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
● A commitment to and understanding of Eden I&R’s diverse clients, preferably with lived experience
● Flexibility, availability, and interest in taking a leadership role in the development of a growing nonprofit
● Strong diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and facilitating and building consensus among diverse individuals
● Personal qualities of integrity, follow through, and a passion for improving the lives of Eden I&R’s clients
For more information, please visit Eden I&R at edenir.org or contact the Executive Director of Eden I&R, Alison DeJung, at email@example.com.
About Eden I&R/211 Alameda County
Eden I&R is a mid-size community-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Hayward, California, with an annual agency budget of approximately $4 million. Our largest program, 211 Alameda County, is a…
Thank you for your interest in a Board role with Eden I&R / 211 Alameda County! Please submit your resume and a few sentences on why you are interested in Board service with us.