Position Summary: Submarine Queuers coordinate with the USS Blueback and Guest Services teams to assist visitors as they begin their tour experience of the USS Blueback submarine. In this particular period, answering questions and stating OMSI protocols as related to COVID-19 will be an important additional aspect of the volunteer opportunity. Detailed training related to these protocols will be provided to volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet and welcome all submarine tour guests prior to their tour to share any pertinent information.
- Utilize a 2-way radio to communicate with submarine staff regarding the number of tour guests and arrival times.
- Coordinate with tour guides and guest services representatives to determine the number of tickets sold and people for each tour.
- Lead tour participants outside to the top of the boat ramp.
- Give clear and accurate information about other museum attractions and events, as well as an introduction to the history and story of the Blueback.
- When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols, including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
- Interest in supporting the USS Blueback or submarine science education.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Comfortable speaking to 1-6 tour guests without the use of a microphone.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Able to maintain a calm and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
Schedule and Support:
- Shift Times: 10:00 to 1:30 pm or 1:30 to 5:00 pm
- Minimum number of hours: 8 hours per month, 4 hours per shift
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Emergency Protocols
- COVID-19 Safety training
- Customer Service training
- Role Specific training
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants based on availability.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.