MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Under the direction of the Uniterra Country Coordinator, and in close collaboration with the Country Office team, the Youth Entrepreneurship Advisor volunteer will contribute to the implementation of the Uniterra program youth engagement and inclusion strategy, and work in close collaboration with partners and other volunteers.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the improvement of partner organizations’ capacity to identify entrepreneurial talent and innovation amongst youth, and to facilitate access to business and financial services;
- Strengthen the capacity of partner organizations to train youth groups in basic business principles, and help mentor specific young entrepreneurs showing innovation promise;
- Work with the country team to identify approaches for effectively engaging young people;
- Support the implementation of the youth entrepreneurship pilot intervention, which seeks to engage local partners in supporting young women and men with businesses to access additional finance and business development services;
- Assist the country team and partners in designing information packs for dissemination to youth groups on entrepreneurship and access to business and financial services;
- Promote the participation and representation of young women in all program activities and benefits;
- Produce reports required by the Uniterra program.
- Degree in business administration or formal education in a related discipline
- 2-3 years of experience in business development and/or administration
- Experience with financial services for businesses is a strong asset
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Intercultural communications skills, diplomacy
- Proven capacity in coaching, facilitation and/or training
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team
- Gender-sensitive behaviour and attitude, with a commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion
- Experience working internationally is a strong asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!