FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charity designs accessible, innovative programs that motivate young people to pursue education and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math, while building self-confidence, knowledge, and life skills.
The mission of FIRST is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
The FIRST AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Program seeks to expand the vision of FIRST by working in areas that have been deemed underserved: lower socio-economic communities, rural areas, and areas that have little to no support or resources to be able to easily access STEM initiatives.
The FIRST VISTA Role
FIRST VISTA members work in a full-time capacity with their local Site Supervisors. They often work to build the capacity of FIRST by focusing on impacting underserved and underrepresented populations in the following ways:
· Living Allowance – modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses
· Relocation Allowance – travel assistance if you relocate over 50 miles to serve
· End of Service Award – Choose between an education award (over $6,000) or cash stipend award ($1,800)
· Non-Competitive Eligibility - hiring path that makes it easier for federal jobs to hire you
· Professional Development – in-person and virtual training opportunities throughout the year
· Additional benefits can be found at https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charity…