The American Red Cross Illinois Region is looking for passionate and dedicated people in the Chicago area to serve on a Disaster Action Team as a response volunteer. This role will provide 24-hour immediate support and assistance to individuals and families who have been impacted by a home fire or other local disaster. Looking for volunteers for evenings and weekends.
- Works as part of an assigned team to respond to local disasters within two hours.
- Can directly enter case data.
- Works with on-scene lead to assess whether additional resources/support are required and
- Communicates those needs to Disaster Action Team Leadership.
- Commits to being available during assigned shifts and communicates scheduling conflicts with Disaster Action Team Leadership.
- Able to respond reliably to local disasters when on call.
- Able to follow Red Cross DAT and other related standards and procedures.
- Reliable access to technology (including smartphone and laptop or computer)
- Ability to work in challenging and stressful conditions such as poor air quality, uneven ground, adverse weather, etc.
- Must have a valid driver's license and/or a timely, reliable way to get to the scene.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Also must have the ability to:
- Stand for two-hour periods
- Sit for two-hour periods
- Walk on uneven terrain
- Walk for two miles during a shift
- Work in extreme heat and/or humidity
- Work in extreme cold
- Spend hours writing
- Speak clearly on the phone and in person
- Climb two or more flights of stairs
- Drive in daytime and at night