4th Second is seeking board members to build a strong foundation to support the long term sustainability of the organization. We wish to expand the capacity of the organization to serve community needs across the spectrum of affordable housing and addressing homelessness, expanding access to health care and food security, community safety, and youth development.
If Earth's 4.5 billion years were scaled down to one day, humans have been present for 3 seconds. We believe our 4th second should be an equitable and sustainable world where all people are housed, fed, healthy, inspired, and part of a thriving ecosystem.
Grounded in community with a focus on root causes, our mission is to catalyze systems-level change by bridging the gaps between community needs and assets through direct service, fostering connections, and serving as a backbone organization.
4th Second requires the guidance and advocacy of a multidisciplinary board of directors. Ideally our board would bring perspectives informed by the fields of medicine, public health, education, youth development, food systems, housing, economic development, sustainability, and social work and be anchored by the values expressed in our vision and mission.
Responsibilities of the Board
- Uphold the mission and vision of the organization
- Participate in strategic and organizational planning
- Ensure strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraise and develop resources
- Approve and monitor the organization’s programs and services
- Enhance the organization’s public image
- Assess its own performance as the governing body of the organization
Responsibilities of Individual Board Members
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Understand the organization’s financial statements
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in quarterly board meetings
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organization’s mission
- Follow the organization’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions
- Maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the organization
Learn more about our current and past programs here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14jm_mHAjDuMIzxK837M2QpceTTmTHr86sqsAFDwMKW4/edit