Join the ATC as a volunteer at one of our four visitor centers along the Appalachian Trail: Damascus, VA; Harpers Ferry, WV; Boiling Springs, PA; and Monson, ME. Visitor center staff and volunteers educate and inform visitors about the Appalachian Trail (A.T.), the work of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), and the communities where each visitor center is located. We hope to encourage visitors to become stewards of the A.T. through educational programs, empowering experiences, and inspirational stories. Our visitor centers serve as hubs for local, regional, and national conservation and recreation information and connect visitors to ATC stewardship opportunities.
Join the team in Boiling Springs, PA at the Boiling Springs Visitor Center. Help recreators of the Appalachian Trail and the region by promoting outdoor stewardship, inspiring new users, and educating visitors about nearby recreation opportunities.
- Meet and greet visitors by creating a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Educate and inform visitors through conversation, guidance, and resource sharing.
- Respond to inquiries, whether in-person, via email, and/or over the phone while representing ATC.
- Help to keep the visitor center a clean, organized place for staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Lead programs, training, or workshops for visitors from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Reflect Leave No Trace principles in responses to the public.
- Help with event set-up and breakdown.
- Conduct sales and membership transactions as needed.
- Other duties and tasks as needed.
- Must be able to work in an inclusive team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to sit or stand for a minimum of 3–4-hour shifts
- Ability to lift 15 lbs. or more
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for all visitors
- Participate in ATC-provided training
- Familiarity or willingness to learn Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Office 365, Outlook, Word)
- Ability to help answer phone or email inquiries as needed
- Basic knowledge of regional recreation, tourism, A.T. and ATC preferred
- Prior experience in customer service or hospitality is a plus
- Passion for educating the public about the outdoors
- Willingness to learn new tasks and information
- Flexible schedule - opportunities to work during the day, evenings, and weekends.
- Work and join a team environment that empowers, educates, and protects
- Ability to interact with visitors from all over the world
- Opportunity for professional development and continued lifelong learning