America’s Black Holocaust Museum was founded by Dr. James Cameron. Dr. Cameron is one of few known survivors of lynching in American History. His life experience and passion created ABHM with an interest in educating and sharing. Today, ABHM promotes a space for reconciliation and healing in order to promote a more united community and an equitable world without racism. Our vision is to honor the legacy of our founder, Dr. James Cameron, and the under-told stories of African Americans as an integral part of American history. America’s Black Holocaust Museum, an integrated physical and virtual experience, will continue to serve as a catalyst to educate and create space for reconciliation and healing.
The Director of Education has a key role in the execution and evaluation of all education programs while supporting the implementation of strategies for program growth and scaling. Current plans and responsibilities are:
- Develop and implement ABHM’s curriculum considering the central themes, goals, and mission of ABHM.
- Develop curriculum to support learning through a variety of educational programs.
- Develop the interpretive content of educational programs, events, and publications.
- Evaluate museum educational programs and seek opportunities for ABHM’s growth and change where necessary.
- Train staff and volunteers with information about ABHM and educational program offerings.
- Guide tours for schools, corporate functions and more through the museum.
- Collect program data and create various statistical summaries of educational programing to be used in reports and grant proposals.
- Manage and actively participate in educational programs, event delivery, and evaluation.
- Plan and manage the budget of the Education Department.
- Work collaboratively with the core Museum leadership staff in the planning and pursuit of long-term, Museum-wide initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Development Department in writing and overseeing grants in support of educational programs.
- Collaborate with educational institutions to foster partnerships and promote student access to museum, both virtually and in-person.
- Continue to work with core collaborators in the development and implementation of educational programs
- Serve, as needed, as exhibit content coordinator for installations in the permanent galleries and other public spaces.
- Represent the Museum and the Education Department at community and professional meetings and conferences.
- Communicate and attend meetings with external partners regarding program logistics.
- Other duties related to ABHM’s education department as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in education or museum studies with an emphasis on education; background in black history or cultural studies.
- 5 years of experience working with education or public programs in a museum setting.
- 3 years of experience in a leadership role.
- Experience with curriculum development and instructional pedagogy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to communicate well both orally and in written form with visitors and colleagues of different ages, interests, and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of current museum and informal educational practices, as well as visitor studies.
- Research, writing, editing, and information management skills.
- Proven project planning, coordination, and evaluation skills.
- Ability to work well within deadlines on multiple and varied projects simultaneously.
Job description and responsibilities may change in the future with any updates to the museum.
This position is a full-time 40 hr Exempt position. Some teleworking will be authorized but subject to change in the future. The workweek might be working from home 3 days a week and 2 days at the museum on a flexible schedule, and subject to change. Some weekends are required for educational events and programs.
For consideration, email resume and cover letter as 1 PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in with your letter. Please have “[Your Last Name] – Director of Education and Programs” in the subject header for the email. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please.
America’s Black Holocaust Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.