Illinois Action for Children (IAFC), a local, state, and national leader in the early childhood care and education sector for over 50 years. IAFC programs, services, and advocacy improve learning and life outcomes for children and families, including reducing the effects of poverty. IAFC works to ensure that every child in Illinois – particularly those in need – have access to the necessary resources to succeed in school and in life.
Along with our mission, IAFC is committed to building and maintaining a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist culture. We are dedicated to this pledge through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and servicing our staff and clients. IAFC staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our essential work.
Under the direction of the Director of Marketing, the Communications & Media Outreach Manager is responsible for fulfilling IAFC's goals and objectives as it relates to the work Organizational Advancement. This includes communications, media relations, social media, development, and special events.
This incumbent will be expected to promote and adhere to the workplace core capabilities of accountability, customer focus, continuous quality improvement (CQI), communication, competent people and clear priorities. All work to be completed with minimum supervision and in accordance with organizational standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following. The organization reserves the right to add to, delete, change, or modify the essential duties and responsibilities at any time.
- External Communications & Media Outreach: Work with senior management (and above) as key resources in the field to proactively create content to generate publicity and media coverage. Build positive relationship with the media such that IAFC becomes a local/regional/national resource for information in the field of Early Learning's policies and workforce. Serve as initial contact for media inquiry calls. Produce and manage distribution of press releases and news alerts. Maintain media contact and up-to-date media list, pitch story concepts, and track media coverage. Draft initial talking points and scripts for IAFC senior management for media interviews. Assist Director of Marketing & Communications with coordination on media training for key staff. Compile media news brief and distribute as directed. Assist with special event media management.
- Serve as Key Editor for all internal and external communications.
- Lead content creator for IAFC social media platforms, FB, Twitter, You Tube, LinkedIn IG, Storify, (Accts). Develop strategies, draft content (posts/Tweets/etc.), execute campaigns (both specific to IAFC and collaboration with allies) and amplifies the agency's brand identity. Craft engaging content, increase site traffic & engagement, monitor through Google analytics, build broader presence. Provide live social media coverage onsite during key events.
- Develop the copy/content creation for digital communications, video messaging, and article generation. Identify recent IAFC publications and other items of interest to include.
- Lead content creator for external written communications. Compile, cultivate, and distribute and ensure timely distribution.
- Marketing and Communications: Assist Director of Marketing & Communications in proofreading and reviewing all agency collateral materials to ensure consistency with agency mission, brand, and editorial standards. Participate in agency-wide committees and efforts to promote internal and external communications process improvement.
- Manage agency reputation and respond to reviews on sites such as Google, Yelp, Glassdoor, etc. Monitor, review, and collaborate with department directors to draft and post appropriate responses.
- Act as managing editor of the employee Intranet which includes convening agency editorial team meetings, making story assignments and producing agency photography.
- As assigned, work with outside vendors to fulfill project program needs for graphic design, printing, promotional materials, translation, mailing, displays and signage. Direct seasonal interns on special projects.
- Execute our workplace core capabilities: accountability, customer focus, continuous quality improvement (CQI), communication, competent people, and clear priorities.
- Other Functions: The organization may assign other functions to the job at its discretion
- General Office Equipment and Software
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and Outlook
- Editing and creating PDFs with Adobe Acrobat.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and related software.
- Website content editor and some html to update and maintain website
- Digital Camera and photo organizing software
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree and one to two years related experience and/or training.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:???????
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to compose complex written communications as well as proofread and edit a wide variety of documents.
- Self-directly and motivated; able to work independently across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to establish priorities.
- Industry, integrity, and curiosity. The candidate must have an energy level that ensures high quality productivity on a timely basis, exercise good judgment and confidentiality when dealing with volunteers, donors, and staff, and exhibit patience and understanding of the needs of others.
- Accuracy, independence, and reliability. The candidate must be able to perform effectively under the pressure of demanding deadlines and work with limited supervision/instruction yet possess a team attitude and be willing and able to pinch-hit when necessary.
- Ability to read Spanish (for proofreading).
- Understanding of IAFC, its mission and strategic goals.
Location: Uptown, Chicago, IL
Illinois Action for Children offers a hybrid work model, including days onsite and remote
Benefits of Working at IAFC:
- Working with passionate team members that are driven by our Mission: Illinois Action for Children is a catalyst for organizing, developing and supporting strong families and powerful communities where children matter most.
- We strive to foster and implement a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our organization. We know it is not only critical to the success of diversity initiatives - but instrumental in creating an unbiassed and inclusive workplace! It not only relates to the diverse clients we serve but also creates a positive employee experience.
- We offer an extensive benefits package that adds value to your total compensation. Our benefits include:
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans with company contribution of 95% for single coverage
- 401k with company match
- Generous PTO – first year-23 days, the second year-28 days, the third year and on - 35 days
- 11 Paid Holidays and 1 Floating Holiday
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Spending Account
- STD & LTD insurance
- Company paid Life Insurance
Illinois Action for Children is EEO/M/F/V/D employer
As established by the Illinois Action for Children Board of Directors, all employees are required to receive a vaccination against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious reasonable accommodation is approved. If offered a job, the candidate must be able to prove that they have been vaccinated with one of the CDC-authorized vaccines, including either Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson / Janssen.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/AKJLP8CN5le7Wsr1xuGKdz" />