LOCATION. LA, NYC, or remote, with some travel required for irregular in-person staff meetings (must be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 to travel)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS. $68,970 - $75,857 annually depending on experience, with generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement
ROLE TYPE. This is a cycle-role with an end date of 12/31/22.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Vote Rev, formerly known as VoteTripling.org, is the behavioral design engine for voter engagement tactics. We design and quickly mainstream field-tested voter engagement innovations to help Democrats win. From 2016 to 2020, we developed and quickly mainstreamed a suite of elegant, user-friendly, and non-proprietary tactics that RCTs suggest yielded tens of thousands of net Democratic votes in 2020 swing states. One example is polling place vote tripling (PPVT). Dozens of major partners used it in 2020, including the Biden-Harris campaign, ultimately resulting in 94,000 canvasser-hours of PPVT that produced 1,100,000 relational conversations–for context, that’s 5x the 200,000 relational conversations the Biden campaign’s relational app produced. PPVT was featured in The Washington Post, The New Yorker, and The New York Times.
Our 2020 work served as a compelling ‘proof of concept’ that our PAC fills a clear need in the progressive ecosystem. Moving forward, we will work on problems beyond non-activist friend-to-friend voter turnout. Our 2021-2024 work will be a success if we design and mainstream one or more voter engagement innovations so widely that our work yields hundreds of thousands of net Democratic votes in the 2024 presidential election.
Note: Due to the nature of our work we are unable to hire any individuals who aren’t U.S. Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), or DACA recipients.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Vote Rev has a number of non-proprietary, non-technological innovations and tactical refinements related to relational voter turnout that may be feasible to pilot at scale in the 2022 midterms with an eye toward impact in the 2024 presidential election. The Senior Associate, Voter Contact Innovations, will report to the Program Director and work closely with the other members of the Voter Contact Innovations team and with Vote Rev’s Operations team to execute a voter contact program that pilots and scales a promising and under-scaled relational voter contact innovation. There are a few leading candidates for what the program might be, and these candidates will be piloted in early summer with a goal of selecting one for scaled implementation in the fall depending on the outcomes of the pilots.
One of the leading candidates for the program that will be run by the Voter Contact Innovations team is a tactic we call ‘high traffic on the spot’ (HTOTS) vote tripling, where canvassers go to high traffic locations like grocery store parking lots or college campuses during Early Vote and on Election Day and ask passersby to text three friends on the spot – early pilots have produced to 12 or more relational contacts per canvasser hour. Another candidate is a program that hires thousands of local non-activists to relationally turn out their communities to vote, an effective program that Vote Rev aims to refine and improve.
Our aspiration is that the program will have a $500,000-$3,000,000 budget, deploy paid canvassers across multiple states, and result in actionable learnings that will enable Vote Rev to maximize its impact in 2024. However there are currently a number of uncertainties: selection of just one relational turnout tactic to pilot at scale, continued momentum in fundraising, program design, and method of evaluation, such as a randomized controlled trial.
We aim to hire for this role by no later than June 26 to enable the new hire to take part in program development. However, there will be uncertainty about the size of the program even until September, since fundraising will still be underway.
Note: We are dedicated to creating an organization that reflects the diversity of the country we serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in campaigns to apply.
- Support Voter Contact Innovations team in all departments including operations, field and data management.
- Conceive and build systems and processes for internal efficiency and management of functions, filling in wherever needed to develop and execute this new, multi-faceted scaled voter contact innovation program
- Conduct research on vendors (e.g., paid canvass firms, technology), organize options, conduct outreach, and support selection, contracting, management, and payment processes, in coordination with Vote Rev’s Operations team
- Serve as project manager for Voter Contact Innovations team, including monitoring progress towards meeting goals and achieving benchmarks, ensuring follow-through, and sustaining momentum needed to drive initiatives to completion
- Manage special projects and assignments to support all aspects of Voter Contact Innovations team (e.g. vetting and ordering t-shirts for paid canvassers or photographers to document the work, drafting a presentation to update other members of the Vote Rev team on the VCI team’s work, etc.)
- Liaise between Voter Contact Innovations Team and Operations team
- Support coordination of logistics (expense reports, scheduling, travel arrangements), materials creation, and legal/compliance
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ROLE
- At least 4 years of relevant, full-time work experience in field and/or operations (electoral campaign or allied organization preferred)
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel/Word/PowerPoint), Google Suite, and Zoom
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention-to-detail
- Demonstrated experience with logistics, including relationship management with vendors, and ensuring large quantities of materials get created, produced, ordered, and delivered on time, at budget, to multiple locations in a distributed environment
- Able to anticipate needs and eager to proactively offer support to meet them
- Resilient, creative, problem-solver, sense of humor, adaptable and able to roll with the punches
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ORGANIZATION
- Commitment to the mission of the organization to design and quickly mainstream field-tested voter engagement innovations to help Democrats win
- Commitment to understand and actively oppose racism and promote equity
- Commitment to working with and for teams of diverse individuals, and, to reducing disparities in whose voice is heard in the electoral space
- Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity and ability to build relationships and collaborate across lines of difference
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment: you move quickly, think strategically, are adaptable to changing circumstances, and are good at tactical execution
PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- At least 1 cycle at Deputy level in Field, Operations, or relevant dept of campaign or allied organization
- Experience with CRMs and project management software like Copper (or VAN/Salesforce) and Asana
- Experience working at a campaign or allied organization
- Experience managing contracts and dealing with complex compliance
REASONS TO LOVE THIS ROLE
- Opportunity to scale a startup: Vote Rev is at an exciting place in its history. We are building off a successful 2020 election cycle, but there is still a lot of work to be done scaling Vote Rev tactics across the country. We hope you are excited about being scrappy, working across multiple departments, and learning as we grow!
- Novel blend of research and program: Research departments are often siloed from programmatic departments. That’s not the case at Vote Rev. Our Research Team works hand-in-hand with our programmatic team to design, evaluate, and scale innovations that address the most critical challenges facing the progressive movement.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation: $68,970 - $75,857 annually depending on experience, with generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement
- Paid time off: All federal holidays, December 24th to January 1st, and your birthday are PTO. And each employee accrues two days of PTO each month (up to 24 days).
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental benefits: our medical plan option covers you with a generous PPO plan with a $1,000 deductible at no cost to you. In addition, we offer generous paid family medical/parental leave
- Vote Rev is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA, with employees across the country. This role will be largely remote, with the possibility of some travel required for irregular, in-person staff meetings (must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to travel)
- Due to the nature of our work, we are unable to hire any individuals who aren’t US Citizens, current Legal Permanent Residents (you already have a Green Card), or DACA recipients. This means that we cannot and will not hire people who are still in the process of becoming Permanent Residents, or who hold any non-permanent authorization to live and work in the United States.
- We intend to close this application by June 19.
- We expect to make an offer to a candidate no later than June 26, and would like to be the start date as soon as possible after the offer is made. The hiring process consists of the following steps. At each step, some applicants will be removed from consideration and notified if they are not moving forward:
- Resume and application questionnaire screen: This step is to establish the baseline for candidates we will advance through the process.
- Phone interview: This will be a more in-depth conversation with a member of the Vote Rev team, and might include answering scenario-based questions.
- Case study: An at-home assignment that you are expected to take less than 2 hours to complete. This gives us a chance to see how you think and see an example work product.
- Final interview: At least two and no more than four applicants will be called back for a set of final-round interviews with the Hiring Manager, Deputy Executive Director Ryan Cohen, and other members of the Vote Rev team. You should plan to reserve up to three hours of your time during business hours for this final round, if you advance to this step.
- References: We will ask for three professional and personal references for our top one or two candidates to learn more about working with them before extending an offer.
- Job offer: We provide our best and final offer in terms of compensation, which will be within the salary band shown in the job description. We base our offer on the number of years of relevant work experience and where that fits within our internal salary leveling system. We do not negotiate salary or other benefits due to research finding that introducing opportunities to negotiate results in pay disparities that are not correlated with competency. While the start date is somewhat negotiable, we have a strong preference for candidates who can start as soon as possible.
- Women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically.
- Submit a resume to the application page in a common format (PDF preferred).Submit responses to short answer questions (in lieu of a cover letter) to the application page.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Our hiring process will consist of this application, a phone screen, a brief skills assessment, and a series of virtual interviews with members of our team.
- Due to the nature of our work, Vote Rev is only able to hire US Citizens, DACA recipients, and current Legal Permanent Residents (i.e. you currently have a Green Card. If you are in the process of getting a Green Card in the future, you are not currently eligible to work for Vote Rev). We are not able to sponsor work visas. By applying to this role, you are acknowledging that you are a U.S. Citizen, DACA recipient, or current Legal Permanent Resident.
- Conditions permitting, this role will require frequent travel. All Vote Rev staff are required to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 or otherwise file for medical/religious exception. You will be required to provide proof of vaccination before being approved for travel on behalf of Vote Rev.
- OPTIONAL (but encouraged!): Please listen to this podcast to familiarize yourself with our work, and also visit www.voterev.org/media for more resources if you are interested.