ABOUT THE GREENLINING INSTITUTE
The Greenlining Institute envisions a future where communities of color can build wealth, live in healthy places filled with economic opportunity, and are ready to meet the challenges posed by climate change. With equity practice and systems change guiding us, we incubate and advocate for new ideas and build bridges with diverse communities and partners to ensure that race is never a barrier to opportunity.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Manager for Media Relations focuses on growing Greenlining’s visibility and influence by elevating our profile in all types of media outlets, preparing spokespersons on staff for public engagements, and ensuring impactful campaigns and resources. The aim is to position Greenlining as a racial equity thought and policy leader, and to create communication strategies that deliver the maximum possible influence on key decision-makers and stakeholders. To achieve this aim, this role works closely with journalists from mainstream to niche outlets for ethnic groups and advocacy groups. This role also partners with staff and oversees GLI’s editorial processes to ensure all publications, blog posts and other written products reflect Greenlining’s narrative for racial equity.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Oversees the editorial process to ensure all communications materials are streamlined, branded and adhere to the strategic messaging plan.
- Works to improve the impact and quality of all aspects of communications across a variety of disciplines including content strategy, writing, editing, and public relations.
- Supports the development of a strategic communications plan for The Greenlining Institute focusing specifically on maximizing our impact through report publications, print media, broadcast, blogs and online media, and other external communications.
- Participates in organizational development and strategic planning activities to effectively leverage Communications to advance Greenlining’s vision and strategy
- Develops and implements data and metrics to effectively analyze and measure impact and guide strategy improvement
- Implements and maximizes search engine optimization for the website
Earned Media Engagement
- Leads the development of a coordinated earned media/spokesperson strategy to effectively tell the story of The Greenlining Institute's work, enhance the organization’s visibility, and increase awareness of our scope and mission to key audiences throughout the state and nationally
- Leads all media engagement efforts including writing all earned media deliverables, fielding all reporter inquiries, pitching stories, reporter education and engagement, list management, and tracking.
- Leads the cultivation and training of key spokespeople to effectively represent the organization, its point of view and policy positions
- Assists in the production of publications and content development for online platforms, including web, email marketing, social media, paid social media, and search marketing
- Provides comprehensive and detailed copy-editing and proofreading of all organizational publications
- Collaborates with program staff to design communications materials that will amplify their work in advocacy, issue awareness, and program promotion
- Ensures that communication strategies are integrated with overall branding and messaging of organization or campaign
- Leads and guides development of effective promotions strategy to leverage publications to further Greenlining’s advocacy and legislative agenda
- Works with external third parties that support the graphic design, writing, editing, and promotion as appropriate
The scope of responsibilities is not limited to those listed above and may change as organizational needs evolve. Specific work plan goals are developed each year to inform annual performance targets.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Three years in a similar role and organization, leading communications efforts related to social change, advocacy or public policy with a racial justice lens. Legislative or policy experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required.
- Demonstrated commitment to Greenlining’s mission, vision, values and goals and an understanding of the intersectionality in Greenlining’s work, culture, and workplace.
- Strong commitment and experience in advancing equity and inclusion for people of color.
- Working knowledge of the local, regional and national media landscape, including key stakeholders, data points and trends for the work done by the Greenlining Institute.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and placing opinion pieces, press releases and other earned media collateral in a wide variety of media outlets.
- Ability to effectively facilitate outcomes-oriented meetings, retreat activities, and/or workshops.
- A consensus-builder with strong emotional intelligence to relate to, understand and be a part of a high-functioning team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain people-centric engagement strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to confidently speak and represent the organization in local, regional and national forums.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as needed, to meetings and conferences throughout the state and possibly other locations.
- SEO expertise strongly preferred.
- Experience using media relations software like Cision, Meltwater, Critical Mention, etc. strongly preferred.