Staff Accountant (71101)
A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
The Institute's impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities throughout the borough, a landmark building and public gallery in Manhattan, as well as an extension campus, PrattMWP College of Art and Design in Utica, New York. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers.
Pratt Institute is seeking a detailed-oriented Staff Accountant with strong analytical skills to join the Controller's Office team and provide support for the Institute's financial operations. You will be responsible for both maintaining and reconciling various financial and accounting data including but not limited to, Perkins and Institutional Loans, Direct Loans and Pell, payroll, credit cards, and bank reconciliations. In addition to that, you will also be responsible for Perkins assignments as well as assisting Accounts Payable in data entry.
We are looking for a candidate who can efficiently assist in our monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes. If you can demonstrate the ability to prepare comprehensive financial reports, have a concise and well-rounded understanding of accounting and finance principles, as well as display excellent problem-solving abilities, then we want to hear from you.On a typical day you will be required to:
The selected candidate will work on-site 5 days per week.
- Monthly review and reconciliation of credit cards activities (Chase and American Express) which include doing check runs on a weekly or monthly basis
- Responsible for interfacing with cardholders, department staff and outside individuals/agencies for issues, questions, and other concerns regarding the card's activities
- Perform monthly review and reconciliation of activities for Loans, as well as managing Perkins's assignments. Managing invoices from Collections Agencies to be paid
- Prepare a weekly payroll Journal Entry and monthly reconciliation
- Assist Accounts Payable in inputting Vouchers and reviewing both the monthly 1099 files as well as unclaimed funds
Bachelors degree required. Bachelor's degree in accounting is preferred.Experience:
Four years experience in general ledger accounting, bank reconciliations, and some treasury function experience, preferably in higher education. Must have experience working with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.Required Skills:
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Must possess knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Working knowledge and experience in integrated accounting systems. (Experience with higher education and/or the non-profit industry preferred.)
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word required; as well as experience with Human Capital Management Software - experience with Ellucian's Colleague is a plus.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
For campus access requirements related to COVID, click here
Pratt Institute gives the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The Institutes impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities throughout the borough, an additional historic building and public gallery in Manhattan, as well as an extension campus, PrattMWP College of Art and Design in Utica, New York. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers. Today, Pratt and its exceptional faculty pride themselves on being academically excellent as well as adaptable to both in-person and online learning. Pratt students are part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, research- and inquiry-based education that prepares them for professional and personal success in creative fields and with the goal of contributing to a more just and sustainable world. With a long-held commitment to the communities of New York, Pratt offers a variety of programs for local pre-college and continuing education students in the Pratt Center for Community Development, the Center for Art, Design and Community Engagement, the Pratt Center K-12, and the School for Continuing and Professional Studies. The value of a Pratt education is evident in its graduates' diverse and thriving careers, where their designs, art, work, and environments have reimagined our world. In over 75 countries across the globe, Pratts 61,000 alumni are advancing the creative economy and making a positive impact through their remarkable work and research.
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/106841
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.