As a pioneering agricultural land trust, MALT operates at the intersection of agriculture and conservation. Our mission is to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. And our commitment is to the long-term health of the land itself, as well as to the farmers and ranchers who work on the land.
We invite you to join the MALT team—a dynamic and passionate staff who care deeply about our mission and one another.
We offer competitive salaries; paid vacation and sick time; health, life, dental, and vision insurance; retirement benefits; family-friendly policies, and a commitment to honoring work/life balance.
The Director of Finance & Operations is a full time exempt position responsible for managing MALT’s day-to-day operations to accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives embedded in Board-driven strategic and annual operating plans. This includes all aspects of financial management, human resources, information technology and facilities. This role manages the Operations Team, including the Operations Manager and Accounting Manager.
This is a hybrid remote/in-office position. The Director of Finance & Operations must be available for periodic meetings in the office and Marin County.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Eight to ten years’ experience with non-profit fund accounting and financial management
- Non-profit operations experience
- Non-profit financial management and financial forecasting
- Non-profit human resources management
- Has a passion for people, process, and impact
- Uses empathy and listening to move ahead workstreams involving a community of diverse viewpoints
- Leads with integrity and a growth mindset that creates a welcoming workplace culture
- Demonstrates exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills
- Brings a passion for land conservation and sustainable farming and ranching
- Has deep familiarity with and knowledge of West Marin and the MALT community, or similar agricultural or environmental communities
- Is a systems thinker who can identify people, resources and solutions to get work done
- Oversee and manage MALT’s day-to-day operations, providing problem solving and management support for all departments.
- Ensure resources, department structures and goals are efficiently aligned with MALT’s mission and goals; identify short- and long-term issues and implement solutions necessary to achieve and maintain goals.
- Continue improving and implementing effective and efficient internal staff communications system; facilitate knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications of the organizations’ programs, projects and initiatives.
- Contribute to MALT’s strategic goals and objectives and work collaboratively with management to develop and deploy effective tactics to accomplish them.
- Responsible for the overall financial and budget planning, and supports MALT management by offering insights and financial advice to enable strategic decision-making
- Provide oversight of the financial performance and stability of the organization; ensure the quality of financial records and accounting and the adequacy of financial reporting and budgeting.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Finance and Investment and Audit committees; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board and committee meetings.
- Collect, interpret, and advise on financial information
- Predict future financial trends
- Report to MALT management, and provide advice about how future business decisions might be impacted
- Produce financial reports related to budgets, account payables, account receivables, and expenses
- Produce quarterly financial packet for the board per the LTA requirements
- Develop and manage budgets for restricted gifts and grants
- Map sources and uses of funds at the organization and department levels
- Develop long-term business plans based on financial reports
- Review, monitor, and manage budgets
- Develop strategies that work to minimize MALT’s financial risk
- Model and promote a culture that reflects the values of the organization.
- Be a visible, approachable sounding board/resource to staff.
- Responsible for onboarding and offboarding of staff led by others
- Responsible for administration of benefits, including enrollment in medical insurance and retirement plans led by others
- Hire, manage, motivate and mentor staff; continue building an experienced and talented team and provide opportunities for them to grow in the organization.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, organize and oversee periodic performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Continue MALT’s transition to the cloud
- Develop and implement cybersecurity policies and practices
- Implement user-friendly and secure data management systems across MALT
- Evaluate and optimize MALT’s various CRM systems and databases
- Oversee facility and vehicle fleet operations led by the Operations Manager and others.