About the Organization:
Big Green is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that believes growing food changes lives. We provide vital resources to organizations and individuals working to grow food in their communities through grants, training, gardening materials, and supplies. Our small team is dynamic, collaborative, and passionate about food, education, and building healthy communities. Please refer to biggreen.org for more information about our work.
About the Opportunity:
Big Green is seeking a CFO to join our team and work with the CEO and Board of Directors to lead the organization’s financial function and move the organization forward through the new frontier of Web 3.0. This is an exciting opportunity to work with cutting-edge multi-crypto blockchain platforms while supporting and growing Big Green’s mission. The CFO will ensure all internal financial operations are secure and sustainable during the execution of strategic initiatives.
In addition to financial and operational responsibilities, the CFO will be responsible for Big Green DAO's financial management and must be thrilled and open to learning about the regulatory, operational, and tax complexities of cryptocurrencies and blockchains.
The ideal candidate is a fast learner, poised, optimistic, entrepreneurial, and diplomatic. The candidate will have a well-rounded background in finance and operations, experience working in a nonprofit enjoys learning leading-edge technologies, and a proactive attitude.
Accounting and Financial Management:
- Oversee accounting and finance functions including cash flow, cash management, working capital, internal controls, company audits, and tax filings.
- Prepare and present financial results to the CEO and Board of Directors while holding responsibility for the financial management of Big Green DAO.
- Collaborate with the CEO and consultants on solutions for operating DAO in an ever-changing environment.
- Lead and oversee the annual budgeting process, support departmental budget management and manage grant allocations, compliance, and financial reporting requirements.
Operations and Relationship Management:
- Manage relationships with banks and vendors while managing and mentoring organizational staff.
- Serve as the point of contact for the Board Treasurer, on the Board finance committee, and participate in all Board meetings.
- Hold signatory authority on behalf of the organization, serve as the point of contact for all HR needs, and liaison with the HR/PEO vendor.
- Manage all organizational business contracts and fully participate in organizational activities including staff meetings.
- Work with the IT team to maintain and update technology, evaluate and oversee the hiring needs of the organization and execute strategy and plans.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A passion for learning and creative problem-solving.
- Effective communicator of financial information including to those without a financial background.
- Strong attention to detail, organized work style, and ability to follow through on work assignments independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to navigate and resolve conflict in a manner that values and respects relationships.
- Able to exercise sound judgment while maintaining the confidentiality of all agency information.
- Some knowledge and experience with cryptocurrencies and blockchains.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a strong desire to learn, adapt and problem solve.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent professional experience.
- Candidate must be located in the Boulder or greater Denver area.
- 10+ years of progressive financial and operational experience, preferably with some experience in non-profit.
- 5+ years in a leadership/executive role with application and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Experience working with and presenting to Board of Directors and expertise in financial analysis, business processes, and internal controls.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and systems including MS Office Suite, Google Workspace, and accounting software such as Intacct with preferred knowledge of Salesforce, Nexonia, and Martus.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment, develop effective interpersonal relationships, manage staff and communicate verbally and in writing while holding integrity and honesty.
- CPA and MBA preferred
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Big Green provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.