Under the direction of the Division Head for Recreation, this position is responsible for coordination, development, support and evaluation of the City’s recreation activities, leagues, and teams, which serve more than 2000 participants weekly.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for development and ongoing support of a wide range of recreational programs, ensuring that there are standards and systems to ensure a safe and healthy environment across all programs affiliated with Cambridge Recreation.
- Directly supervise Summer Parks Program that provides early job opportunities for 30+ young people and provides the staffing for the Summer Food Program, which provides free, healthy meals to children at locations across the city.
- Oversight of basketball leagues, Fun Skate and other recreation programs for adults and youth, including recruitment and supervision of participants enrolled in programs, leagues, and teams.
- Demonstrate solid commitment to issues of race and equity; participate in the Department’s Race and Equity Initiative, and actively develop and implement strategies for social change through the unifying force of sports.
- Generate new initiatives to meet community needs related to sports, health, and wellness, including programs for adults, families, and seniors.
- Liaison with staff of Camp Rainbow and The Cambridge Program for individuals with special needs to ensure all program needs are met.
- Publicize programs/activities to residents using all available means, working closely with the Department’s Communications Manager.
- Evaluate programs and maintain all records necessary to assess program quality.
- Manage, track and report on fiscal activity related to programs.
- Work closely with other Cambridge Recreation staff and other City entities to secure permits, garner support, and boost enrollment.
- Develop and maintain close communication and collaboration with school staff, neighborhood organizations and service providers to ensure access to programs.
- Cultivate and recruit on-going professional development opportunities for Recreation Staff to enhance program practices and quality.
- Participate in special projects or committees as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least five years of experience in sports management, youth work, or coaching required.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Data entry experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with diverse types of people.
- Must be well organized with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks and concurrent requests.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited 4-year college preferred.
- Experience with RecTrac system preferred.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) required or willingness to obtain within 60 days of employment.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week; Mon – Fri; frequent weekends and nights required depending on program needs.
RATE: $58,390-$69,247 annually plus excellent benefits
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Vacation and Sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal days
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Management Allowance, $2,700/year