GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. We currently require all employees to disclose their vaccination status and submit weekly negative tests if they are unvaccinated. We require daily health screenings and mandate mask wearing indoors, other settings that make social distancing difficult, where required by funders and community partners, and masking for unvaccinated employees in all work settings. Please note that this is a position that currently requires employees to wear a face covering at all times when interacting with city employees and members of the public, indoors or out, regardless of vaccination status. As the situation evolves, GrowNYC reserves the right to make changes to our health and safety practices and policies, including but not limited to requiring that staff vaccinate, and comply with local rules and applicable guidelines.
The Individual Giving Manager (IGM) is a self-motivated, confident, and experienced fundraiser with demonstrated success identifying, soliciting, cultivating and closing individual gifts as well as a proven track record of donor retention. The successful candidate will fill a critical role in an expanding development team and lead GrowNYC’s annual direct mail, digital, and multi-channel fundraising appeals. This individual will also manage a portfolio of major donors. This position is a great fit for someone who is analytical and organized, a strong communicator, knowledgeable about direct marketing, an excellent writer and passionate about promoting GrowNYC’s mission.
Individual Giving Manager Responsibilities:
- Become a GrowNYC “expert” and excel in telling our story. Act as a spokesperson for the organization as needed to bring in funding, volunteers, etc. Work closely with various parts of the organization to organize site visits and bring our work to life for donors and prospective supporters.
- With Development Director, create strategy and fundraising dollar and donor goals for the entire Annual Fund population. Coordinate plans for direct mail and e-mail on an ongoing basis with development team and program colleagues.
- Identify new prospects, reactivate lapsed donors, and increase levels of support with active donors. Create opportunities for engaging these donors with an eye towards demonstrating the impact of their giving.
- Plan annual fundraising events and activities for top annual giving donors and prospects. Identify and prioritize prospects and personally solicit leadership annual fund gifts from selected prospects.
- Work closely with Development Director and CEO on the annual solicitation of high-end annual gifts from major gift prospects and planned giving prospects when appropriate.
- Collaborate closely with external communications team to effectively leverage media stories about GrowNYC’s work and ensure we are utilizing them to cultivate, steward, and solicit support.
- Document solicitation information in Raiser’s Edge database; monitor system to assure proper stewardship and pledge follow-up occurs.
- Related projects as assigned.
- Minimum 3-5 years related experience.
- At least two years of personally soliciting individual gifts, consistently meeting or exceeding revenue targets.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. (Writing sample upon request)
- Proven ability to successfully develop strong relationships with donors and represent the organization to multiple constituents.
- Must be able to operate effectively as part of a team and independently. Enjoys collaboration and works well on cross-functional teams.
- The ideal candidate can provide outstanding customer service to internal and external stakeholders and is an effective problem-solver.
- Analytical approach to fundraising, especially the ability to prioritize donors and identify prospects. Must be comfortable and able to work effectively with numbers, budgets, and data.
- Strategic mindset with an ability to think and focus on both the near- and long-term.
- • The ideal individual adapts to changes in a fast-paced work environment and deals easily with unexpected events. Comfortable with managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- • Fluency in working with databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- • Sense of humor and curiosity to learn.
This position is full-time, Monday-Friday and temporarily remote.
The full-time, non-exempt IGM position pays $55,000-$65,000 annually, and includes benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, pension plan, and paid time off).
GrowNYC/Greenmarket is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.