Building Markets is seeking a Proposal Writer who will serve as a key member of the team supporting proposal development, as well as program reporting and communications deliverables. The Proposal Writer will report directly to the Global Head of Programs and indirectly to the Head of Partnerships, working collaboratively to develop proposals that are focused on meeting fundraising goals through institutional, private, and public grant funding. The Proposal Writer must develop deep knowledge of Building Markets’ unique model and impact, effectively communicate Building Markets’ mission and values through compelling grant proposals and project reports, and function efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Support research to identify institutional and public prospects that expand Building Markets’ grant portfolio and meets fundraising priorities;
- Review RFPs for a complete understanding of proposal submission requirements;
- Prepare decision recommendations (proceed/do not proceed) for leadership team review;
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Partnerships to develop and submit effective and compelling proposals to foundations, corporations, multilateral and bilateral institutions;
- Coordinate the proposal development process and gather technical inputs from relevant team members to write proposals that meet all RFP requirements (objectives, outcomes, deliverables, implementation, methodology, timeline, staffing, M&E, etc.)
- Support finance team members in the budget development process to align with proposals and prepare budget narratives;
- Maintain accurate and consistent electronic and paper filing to support record-keeping requirements;
- Support donor reporting process, including drafting reports;
- Support market research, monitoring, and evaluation reporting;
- With field-based communications team members, support the creation of program communication content, including interviews, success stories, and business profiles.
- Master’s Degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of five years of experience in researching opportunities and developing proposals for international development donors, including bilateral and multilateral donors;
- Knowledge and command of mechanisms to track the grant application life cycle and support financial analytics and forecasting for the organization;
- Excellent research, writing, and presentation skills in English;
- Ability to develop creative and strategic initiatives, programs, and donor-funded activities which support organizational goals and objectives;
- Willingness to continually build capacities and learn additional skills to improve organizational capacity;
- Demonstrated effectiveness with interpersonal relationships, negotiation, and conflict resolution;
- Acts with integrity and maintains confidentiality in a professional manner;
- Patience and communication skills to be able to address concerns and questions of various stakeholders;
- ‘Self-starter’ with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, with excellent motivational skills, enthusiasm, vision, and a willingness to think big.