The Career Coach is responsible to develop strong job leads, provide high quality career counseling, training, and job placement assistance to designated job seekers. The Career Coach initiates and sustains collaborative working relationships with a variety of businesses in the greater Boston area. This individual must have flexibility to travel between various locations, specifically Lawrence, Lynn, East Boston, or Boston to serve participants at multiple JVS sites. This individual must have a strong knowledge about issues related to individuals with significant barriers to employment as well as experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Accountability and Results Focused:
- Assist program participants in initial goal setting, career planning and educational services leading to job placement, skills upgrades and career advancement
- Assist program participants in both one-on-one and group settings in job search-related activities.
- Escort participants to job interviews and facilitate interview and hiring process, as needed.
- Actively develop new and maintain existing employer relationships that lead to quality job placements for participants.
- Provide post-placement services including follow-up with job-seeker and employer.
- Establish, track and meet program dashboard indicators (enrollments, placements, retention, etc.).
Build relationships, collaboration and teamwork:
- Support and promote the mission and philosophy of JVS both internally and outside the agency.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (participants, employers, partner organizations, funders, etc.).
- Work as part of a team, sharing job leads and collaborating on workshops, classes, group interviews and any other tasks as needed.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and team- based projects.
- Provide assistance to fellow team members when needed.
- Organize and maintain files and records.
- Prepare reports as necessary.
- Communicate regularly with Supervisor to insure smooth delivery of services.
- Complete program summary reports for employers, funders, JVS leadership and other stakeholders
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date information in all databases.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years of experience in workforce development or related field required.
- 1-3 years of experience in working with individuals with barriers to employment strongly desired.
- Experience in marketing and outreach desired.
- Proficiency in a language spoken by immigrant participants preferred (Spanish, Haitian Creole, or Cape Verdean Creole).
- Familiarity with career ladders and professional advancement preferred.
- Knowledge of community resources and web-based resources preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills required.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: BA/BS in Human Services, Business Administration, or related field
- Accountability and Results focused
- Adapting to Change
- Building Relationships, Collaboration and Teamwork
- Cultural Competency and Respect
- Communication Skills
- Promotes Agency
- Job Development/Employer relationship building
- Job Placement
- Removing Barriers to Employment
- Tracking program progress and reporting
- Collaboration across departments and agencies
- Frequent meeting with clients and employers
- May be requested to work outside of scheduled hours as defined by the needs of the department
- Frequent travel by public transportation to employer locations
- Will attend occasional off-site meetings with partner organizations in and around the greater Boston area