The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) is a statewide service, research, policy, program development and capacity building agency. IHR designs its services based on an understanding of the impact of trauma. IHR’s CARF accredited treatment programs provide holistic interventions for hard to reach and high-risk individuals and families. IHR’s mission, since our founding in 1989, has been to develop and support a comprehensive continuum of care for families, individuals, youth, and pregnant and parenting women affected by alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use, violence/trauma, mental health challenges and other health issues, while advancing principles of health equity and social justice. Our work is focused on addressing and eradicating inequities in our health care, economic, and justice systems, especially as they disproportionately affect women and people of color. We are committed to providing services and creating communities that mitigate the effects of substance use, mental illness, and trauma.
The SAFE Project is a positive, strength-based counseling approach, utilizing A-CRA and ACC, to working with adolescents (ages 12-24) and their families affected by the adolescent’s substance use. Treatment is provided by a Family Intervention Specialist during or after school, at home, in community settings, or in an outpatient clinic setting. This position is specific to the Malden SAFE Team at Malden High School.
NOTE: This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position and is based in-person at Malden High School and IHR’s Cambridge office.
Reports to: Director of Youth and Young Adult Services
▪ Provide assessment, case management, and counseling through the use of evidence-based practices;
▪ Provide individual and family counseling to youth and their family/caregivers in school, the home and community;
▪ Participate in training and professional development, including certification and/or proficiency in evidence-based models including A-CRA, ACC, and Motivational Interviewing;
▪ Initiate and maintain collaborative relationships with administration and staff at Malden High School to facilitate program referrals and participate in outreach initiatives at school and in the community;
▪ Complete initial screenings, needs assessments, bio-psycho-social assessments and individual treatment plans based on MSDP formats;
▪ Working closely with treatment providers to coordinate and implement services, provide other wrap-around services to youth and their family/caregivers such as care management, access to transportation and child care, etc.;
▪ Provide psychoeducation/diversion groups to students at MHS in collaboration with the Project Amp Mentor;
▪ Monitor the Project Amp Peer Mentor’s engagement with participants and effective completion of data collection and documentation.
▪ In collaboration with other Malden SAFE Team members, facilitate/organize at least one professional development day for school personnel to increase awareness of and education on adolescent substance use and co-occurring disorders;
▪ Share materials and resources on adolescent substance use and co-occurring disorders with school leadership, school personnel, parents/families, and students;
▪ Maintain accurate and up-to-date clinical electronic health records, billing records, and reporting as necessary;
▪ Communicate with IHR’s main office in Cambridge through use of shared online calendars, sign in – out board, time sheets, and check in/out with supervisor;
▪ Attend team and agency staff meetings;
▪ Regular attendance and punctuality is required;
▪ Other related duties
▪ Problem Solving
▪ Development and Continual Learning
▪ Adaptability and Flexibility
▪ Valuing Diversity
▪ Customer Focus
▪ Advanced degree in social work, counseling, psychology or related field. Clinical license (LICSW, LCSW, LMHC, LMFT) preferred;
▪ Previous experience working with adolescents/transition-age youth, families, mental health, and substance use issues;
▪ Must adhere to the policies and procedures at IHR and Malden High School;
▪ Previous experience providing treatment at home, school, or in community settings;
▪ Strong familiarity with assigned catchment area communities and local resources;
▪ Competency in working with diverse individuals, families, and cultural backgrounds;
▪ Demonstrated oral and written communication skills;
▪ Energetic, flexible and able to take initiative and work independently as well as part of a team;
▪ Must have regular access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Massachusetts Drivers’ License;
▪ Minority and Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
▪ Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and regular access to a reliable vehicle;
▪ Business Class Rider on Motor Vehicle Insurance, if transporting clients
(Reimbursable; required within one month of start of job)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
IHR offers a rewarding work environment with competitive salary, generous benefits and a strong commitment to equity and diversity. IHR is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create an inclusive and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) is a statewide…