Founded in 1950, St. Anthony's is the most comprehensive safety net service center in San Francisco, directly providing food, clothing, medical care, addiction recovery services, access to technology, job training, and other critical resources to the community. Every day we support and are supported by thousands of San Franciscans. Everyone who comes through our doors joins the St. Anthony's family and helps us create a future where all people flourish.
The Service Lead is responsible for coordinating the successful delivery of showers, laundry access, and other hygiene-related services to St. Anthony’s clients. In order to achieve and maintain this success, the Service Lead will demonstrate strong organization and attention to detail, a keen ability to identify and mitigate safety risks, and exceptional communication skills, particularly interpersonal verbal and non-verbal communication.
The Service Lead will be committed to providing trauma-informed care and service, recognizing that St. Anthony’s routinely serves individuals who are in a state of crisis related to experiences of poverty, homelessness, and other challenges—while also possessing strengths that can be built upon with our support.
- Leads the daily service delivery of free showers, laundry access, and other hygiene services in the Hygiene Hub. Coordinates the efforts of a team of Service Associates.
- Facilitates and helps ensure a safe, secure environment for clients, volunteers, and other staff. Observes safety procedures and precautions. Aware of and assists in the identification of job hazards and personal safety risks, and attempts to prevent or resolve them through the maintenance of physical spaces, de-escalation of interpersonal conflicts, and implementing first aid or overdose reversal response. Initiates emergency calls as necessary.
- Ensures accurate and complete recording of all daily data related to service delivery and client demographics.
- Refers clients to other hygiene resources as needed, including St. Anthony’s Medical Clinic, Free Clothing Program, and Resource Center, among other service providers.
- Oversees the general maintenance, upkeep, organization, and re-stocking of inventory in the Hygiene Hub on an ongoing basis.
- Assists and involves work unit staff in both Foundation-wide and personalized learning and professional development objectives. Promotes training and awareness efforts concerning cultural diversity.
- Attends and participates in relevant meetings and trainings.
- Assists and works with all of the members of Hygiene Services and Free Clothing Program in responding to the responsibilities of the work unit. Works as part of the Hygiene Services team, knowing your presence is an essential function for the team to be successful.
- Adheres to the guidelines of the SAF Safety Program and oversees the Safety Program and Emergency/Disaster Plans for the Hygiene Hub. Coordinates with Community Safety Services department as necessary.
- Assists in responding to the responsibilities and needs of St. Anthony Foundation.
- Three plus years of progressively responsible leadership experience. Direct social services preferred.
- Ability to be polite, tactful, and firm with the public. Ability to set limits and handle pressure situations with clients.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, verbal communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent skills related to planning, organization, and adapting to unpredicted developments.
- Ability to handle emergency and pressure situations.
- Proficient with essential computer applications: email, databases, word processing
- Excellent work habits: punctual, reliable, cooperative attitude, team player.
- Ability to lift and carry bags and boxes weighing up to 50 pounds over 10 feet, with attention to safety.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Ability to work holidays and weekend days as needed.
- Willingness to wear protective personal equipment (PPE) while working, including non-slip shoes.
- Bilingual speaking ability a plus.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and a desire to work for a social service agency serving homeless and low-income populations.