ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education is a national nonprofit partnering with K-12 educators to transform public schools and districts into hubs of opportunity for all students to achieve excellent equitable outcomes. EL Education is guided by a vision of education equity and student potential, by a reimagined definition of student achievement, and offers research-proven resources and practices, including the acclaimed EL Education K-8 Language Arts curriculum, Core Practices, and aligned professional learning. EL Education was founded in 1991 and currently serves 440,000 students in diverse communities across the country. Learn more at ELEducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education is seeking a Coach, Professional Development Specialist. Professional Development Specialists play an integral role toward our goals with partners, impact educator effectiveness, and improve student achievement through the implementation of the EL Education Core Practices and EL Education’s Design Principles. This position includes strategic and tactical support to districts and schools in implementing our student-engaged assessment practices and nationally recognized K-8 ELA Curriculum. This position plays an integral role in EL Education's vision of expanding our reach further into the highest need areas of the educational landscape across a variety of educational settings. The role works with a portfolio of schools/districts and collaborates cross-functionally with a team off EL Education coaches and portfolio Directors.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Build deep relationships with partner schools and districts, including school leaders, school-based coaches, teacher leaders, and teachers.Intentionally cultivate relational trust with all stakeholders by demonstrating respect, integrity, competence and a personal regard for others:
- Collaborate positively and effectively with partners to ensure a full understanding of district and school goals and outcomes and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
- Effectively coordinate and manage professional learning and coaching schedules with school partners to maximize on-site time and fully support school leaders and teachers. Ie: Gather data and information about program school structures (schedule, calendar, etc.)
- Communicate proactively and frequently with school partners to ensure continuity in between on-site visits with follow up emails indicating next steps
- Provide thought-partnership and capacity building support to school leaders to ensure impactful professional learning and implementation of curriculum.
- Flexibly problem-solve issues related to professional learning and curriculum implementation at any given school/district site.
- Support, celebrate, and report on achievements of district / school goals and milestones.
- Communicate regularly with the Regional Director regarding curriculum implementation and professional development impact.
Work as a member of a high-functioning team to build capacity and monitor progress through continuous improvement cycles grounded in EL Education’s equity pillars and the 3 Dimensions of Student Achievement in schools by providing professional development and curriculum implementation tools to school-based coaches and lead teachers, along with their associated building principals and colleagues in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional development institutes in large group settings.
- Virtual professional development (synchronous and asynchronous).
- Building capacity in school-based coaches by coaching alongside them through calibration sessions, walkthroughs and feedback cycles, modeling lessons, and solving implementation dilemmas.
- Partnering with building leaders and leadership teams to monitor and adjust strategy to achieve goals.
- Providing turnkey training and materials.
Work as a member of a high-functioning partner-facing team:
- Develop creative, interactive face-to-face and virtual experiences that model the engagement and practices expected in EL Education classrooms:
- Ensure professional quality through sharing successes and challenges, an open response to feedback and application of new learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems of practice, create efficiencies, and commit to an organizational norm to continual improvement.
Manage and maintain data and results related to service delivery and impact.
- Maintain records related to types of services provided and audience impacted.
- Collect and/ or support the collection of data related to program satisfaction and impact.
- Communicate effectively with partners regarding services provided.
- Maintain accurate personal records such as documenting direct service and planning within Sales Force (customer relationship management system) and entering expenses in the expense management system.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices.
- Familiarity with EL Education’s nationally recognized ELA curriculum for grades K-8
- Proven experience with delivering professional development, backwards planning, and the implications of the CCSS instructional shifts.
- Significant experience in school and/or district leadership with an emphasis on school reform, advancing equity initiative and organizational change
- Proven experience and deep expertise in teaching and learning, preferably in EL Education or similar schools in an urban and/or rural setting
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- Personal characteristics that enable the candidate to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds.
- An ability to manage complex tasks and timelines independently and proactively while working from home / away from direct supervision.
- Experience and willingness to work with virtual teams across different geographical sites.
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity and willingness to learn and apply quickly.
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, growth mindset, and curiosity
- Experience managing multiple projects and tasks with stellar results.
- Availability and willingness to ebb and flow with high intensity work flow.
- Willingness to accept feedback; devotion to continuous growth.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% for service delivery and internal, organizational events (ie. National Conference, Staff retreat)
- Experience with using and/or leading the implementation of the EL Education EA curriculum, strongly preferred.
- A Master's degree in education, education leadership, or related field, preferred
- Proven experience in Primary (grades K-2) and Intermediate Level literacyinstruction, multilingual learners and/or learners with special needs, preferred
- Experience with school or district leadership roles, preferred
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment, absent an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor