WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are seeking a DevOps Engineer who is passionate about automation and building great tools in a security conscious environment. We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing in-office and remote colleagues geeking out about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Manage, monitor, extend our mission critical web application infrastructure in AWS and other cloud providers in an auto scaling, self-healing environment. Handling high volume is our priority.
- Be part of an on-call rotation. When alarms ring, we respond immediately and effectively.
- Learn from alerts. After an event, we learn from it, continuously improving our infrastructure, monitoring, or applications to keep the same issue from ringing alarms again.
- Work with application developers and product “customers” to deploy and monitor new services repeatably, securely, and at scale in cloud services.
- Build visualizations of our data to understand the performance of our systems and recommend improvements to remove bottlenecks and points of failure.
- Discover, test, and deploy upgrades to or replacement of components of our infrastructure, from simple OS packages, to cloud services, to wholesale architecture changes.
- Anticipate and proactively address security concerns from both process and technology standpoints.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Very experienced with Linux system administration.
- Substantial GIT experience
- Experience in a programming language like Ruby, Python, or Golang.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins.
- Knowledge of and a passion for repeatable configuration management using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Rundeck.
- Desired: experience with Kubernetes (we’re on EKS).
- Bonus: experience with Hashicorp tools (Terraform, Packer, Vault).
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: Kubernetes, Docker, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis
- Tooling: Infrastructure As Code in Terraform
- Hosting: AWS
- Monitoring: Datadog
- Databases: PostgreSQL
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.