Local UnionRequisition Number:
Rockville | MD | 20850 | USADescription
SEIU, Local 500 is a progressive labor union, organizing and representing over 20,000 workers in the public service in Maryland and Washington, DC. We are a proud affiliate of Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the fastest-growing union in North America. We have an immediate opening for a Contract Administration Representative.Purpose of Position:
The Contract Administration Representative (CAR) will work under the direction of the Director of Representation. The CAR performs a wide range of duties including grievance processing from initiation through arbitration, inclusive of full evidentiary hearings. CARs represent employees and the Union in employer-employee relations matters, collectively bargains contracts and actively supports and/or participates in the union compliance process, addresses employee issues and work place committees as related to the various bargaining units' collective bargaining agreements.Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs a wide range of duties as assigned by the SEIU Local 500 Director of Representation or the Executive Director. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.
- Advising, assisting, training and/or participating in all aspects of the negotiation and grievance processes including, but not limited to, collection and assimilation of demands and data, coordination and advocacy.
- Must be able to mentor, train and empower new contract administrative representatives.
- Representing individuals and the Union in arbitrations, disciplinary matters, unfair labor practices and other administrative actions.
- Aiding the Union, its members and official bodies in carrying out the objectives of the Union.
- Providing advice, training, coordination and assistance to workers and Elected SEIU Representatives (ESRs) on matters of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
- Provide vision and leadership to members, leaders and local staff on the importance of Contract enforcement.
- Must be able to manage and navigate difficult conversations with our members and employers.
- Understands that union membership is everyone's responsibility and will ask non-members to join Local 500.
- Maintains a calm and professional demeanor when under pressure.
Scope and Nature of Supervision
- Performs other duties as required to assist SEIU Local 500.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and automobile for travel to member worksites and member and employer meetings.
- Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
- Ability to independently handle difficult and complex issues in labor relations matters.
- Ability to exercise skills in interpersonal relationships.
- A high level of judgment and emotional intelligence; ability to take initiative; must be able to work with elected leaders, worker leaders, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
Previous Work Experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or four years commensurate experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Training
- Four years of professional experience in employer/employee relations providing representation.
- Demonstrated experience with contract negotiations.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreement enforcement.
- Ability to develop and write Collective Bargaining Agreement language.
- Proficiency in the use of membership data entry as pertains to contract enforcement. Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook and Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and be dedicated to empowering workers and building the labor movement.
This is a WBNG bargaining unit position. SEIU Local 500 offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits including 100% employer-paid health benefits (95% of the cost difference for dependents), 100% employer-paid pension, a generous paid leave policy, and the experience of a lifetime. Probationary Period:
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to:HumanResources@seiu500.org
. Please, no calls.Local 500 encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 500 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/NaWpnXCgdkJBIowEuo5ed" />