The Coalition for Behavioral Health is at the forefront of advancing a robust agenda for behavioral health in New York City and State. The Coalition has over 100 member agencies who provide mental health and substance use services throughout New York.
The Policy & Advocacy Manager, reporting to the Director of Policy & Advocacy, will play a key role in engaging members in our advocacy work and in the success of The Coalition’s member committees. This a great role for someone excited to work on a small team and in collaboration with mental health and substance use providers. This position is primarily remote but does require some in-person meetings throughout New York city & state. The candidate must reside within New York State, ideally in New York City or Albany.
- Project Management: this role is responsible for project management of several key initiatives within Policy & Advocacy, including:
- Committee management: collaborate with chairs of The Coalition’s member committees to set committee agendas, schedule guest speakers, and promote committee meetings to Coalition members. Update committee webpages and disseminate resources to meeting attendees.
- Member coordination: engage members in advocacy with elected officials by inviting members to meetings, reaching out to members to identify program openings and other newsworthy events, and coordinating with members for City & State rallies.
- Lobby Day management: lead the logistics of The Coalition’s lobby days, coordinating with The Coalition’s members and lobbyists to schedule meetings, invite appropriate members to meetings, prepare talking points & briefing materials, and coordinate rallies.
- Communication: a key aspect of this role will involve preparing mass emails, social media messages and other communication materials to update members and the broader Coalition community on The Coalition’s work and events. This includes:
- Drafting announcements and newsletters in our email software
- Identifying resources and events to share with members
- Creating social media messages for The Coalition and tweeting about Coalition events & advocacy
- Collaborating with other Coalition staff to keep member contact information up-to-date in Salesforce
- Policy Analysis:
- Track and analyze legislation that impacts The Coalition and our members, including preparing summaries and memos and soliciting member feedback on proposed legislation
- Prepare talking points for members for City & State hearings
- Assist in budget and regulatory analysis
- Demonstrated project management skills, including coordinating with external stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with city and state policy process
- Knowledge of or interest in mental health, substance use and public health policy
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Political or issue advocacy experience desired
- Detail oriented individual who can successfully manage multiple projects and tasks
- Experience with social media, salesforce or content management systems is a plus.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Three years of relevant experience
The Coalition for Behavioral Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers equal opportunities for employment for all qualified applicants consistent with federal, state, and local laws.