The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia (ACLU-GA) is seeking a dynamic and visionary Legal Director to lead and grow the ACLU-GA's legal department in advancing and shaping the civil rights and civil liberties landscape in Georgia. The Legal Director serves as a member of the ACLU of Georgia senior leadership team and contributes at a high level to advance the organization’s goals. Specifically, the Legal Director is responsible for leading the organization’s legal team and program, which includes building a robust docket, ensuring that it advances the ACLU-GA’s strategic priorities, engaging an integrated advocacy model and collaborating with local, state, and national partners in our shared pursuit to guarantee all persons the civil liberties and rights contained in the United States and Georgia Constitutions and Bill of Rights.
· Maintain and develop ACLU-GAs impact litigation docket, which proactively advances our strategic priorities and responds to threats to civil liberties;
· Apply an integrated advocacy approach by collaborating internally with the Communications, Policy & Advocacy, and Development departments to advance the ACLU-GA’s strategic priorities ensuring maximum media exposure, coordinating policy and legal advocacy tactics, and developing financial resources to grow;
· Manage all aspects of the ACLU’s litigation program, including coordinating the selection of cases in concert with the Executive Director; overseeing the investigation and development of cases before commencing litigation; and building litigation teams with in-house lawyers, cooperating counsel, and nonprofit partners;
· Oversee staff attorneys and cooperating attorneys as they engage in complex litigation in Federal and State court, including overseeing all aspects of discovery, motion practice, briefs, trials, appellate work, and amicus briefing;
· Engage in public speaking, articulating the ACLU’s views to the media and the public on a broad range of issues;
· Manage, motivate, and mentor a department of 3-5 team members, with the possibility of long-term growth;
· Develop and manage the Legal Department budget, including the proper allocation and expenditure of resources.
· JD from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in the state of Georgia (or licensed in another state and qualified to apply for admission in Georgia within 6 months);
· Minimum of 5 years practice as a litigator, with trial and appellate experience in federal and/or state courts, particularly complex litigation;
· The ability to think creatively and to use non-litigation strategies to promote objectives;
· Exceptional analytical, writing, and speaking skills;
· Track record of proven leadership skills, including supervising, overseeing, and/or mentoring legal staff, working with diverse stakeholders, coordinating with both internal and external partners;
· Superb organizational skills with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines;
· An absolute commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards;
· Cultural competence, a commitment to work toward equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and an understanding of how structural racism, sexism, and prejudice against people based on their race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, different ability and age-pervade our society and its institutions;
· Willingness to work irregular hours as needed, along with occasional travel within Georgia;
· Experience in non-profit advocacy or other community-based groups is a plus
The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia (ACLU-GA) is seeking a dynamic and visionary Legal Director to lead and grow the ACLU-GA's legal department in advancing and shaping the civil rights and civil liberties…
The ACLU of Georgia offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU-GA’s compensation scale. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, sick time, and holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance; Flexible Spending Account; life and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) Defined Contribution Retirement. Questions regarding benefits and compensation can be addressed in advance of applying to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ACLU of Georgia offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU-GA’s compensation scale…
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com. To facilitate our review, your email should have the subject line: “[Your last name] Legal Director Application.” We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU-GA reserves the right to change the description and/or posting without advance notice.
The ACLU-GA is an equal opportunity / fair chance employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-GA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com. To facilitate our review, your email should have the subject line…