TSNE (formerly Third Sector New England) (tsne.org) is a management support organization that partners every year with hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. Our mission is to provide information and services to build the knowledge, power, and effectiveness of individuals, organizations, and groups that engage people in community and public life. The ultimate intention of our work is to create a more just and democratic society.
We assist a wide range of organizations in the social sector with a mix of management support and capacity building services in consulting, financial and grants management, business administration, human resources, compensation and benefits administration, professional development training and research in nonprofit fields of practice.
As a leading voice and capacity builder in the nonprofit sector, TSNE is committed to learning and building our practices and values around diversity, inclusion and equity, and working in a culturally proficient way with our staff and the organizations and communities we serve. We actively cultivate a work environment that values the experiences of individuals in an open-minded and collaborative atmosphere. ResponsibilitiesThe Associate Counsel for Contracts (Associate Counsel) owns the management and oversight of all TSNE contracts, including drafting, review, process, management and compliance, for internal teams and for TSNE’s fiscally sponsored organizations (FSOs). The Associate Counsel will manage at least one Contracts Staff attorney, and will have the shared support of two Contracts Administrators. The Associate Counsel, may, in collaboration with the General Counsel and other legal team staff, contribute to the management of legal matters for the organization and its FSOs, including: grants review, risk assessment, advising on legal matters, and implementing TSNE’s compliance framework.
This role is a one-year, temporary position with the potential to become regular.
Contracts and Grants - 90%
- Hold primary responsibility for all aspects of TSNE contracts and contracts administration process for all of TSNE’s FSOs and internal departments (real estate and property management, consulting, HR, and IT), ensuring that contracts are drafted, reviewed and processed in a timely, efficient, thorough and compliant fashion;
- Oversee the continuous improvement of TSNE’s contracts management systems and processes and manage implementation of changes with key stakeholders throughout the organization. This includes the identification of technology and/or software to increase efficiency, and collaboration with IT to implement solutions;
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts and grants on behalf of TSNE’s FSOs and TSNE’s internal teams, ensuring compliance with applicable funding terms, laws, and regulations, Uniform Guidance and TSNE policies, including vendor and consulting agreements, revenue agreements, asset transfer agreements, grants, leases and licenses;
- Maintain and update as needed TSNE’s contract templates to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and the business needs of FSO and internal teams;
- Collaborate with the Fiscal Sponsorship team as needed to advise fiscal sponsorship staff on proposal documentation and pre-award documentation for federal and private grants to ensure accuracy and compliance;
- Collaborate with interdepartmental team to on-board on off-board FSOs and own the process of ensuring the transition/termination of contracts for organizations being on-boarded or off-boarded;
- Review day-to-day work product of the Contracts Staff Attorney and support professional development of the position;
- Develop and provide written guidance and trainings pertaining to contracts and compliance to FSOs and internal teams;
- Generally, provide an excellent client experience to FSOs, including understanding their unique and varied missions and work and applying that understanding to their contracts.
Legal Advisory & Risk Management and Compliance - 10%
- Collaborate as needed with General Counsel and fellow Associate counsel to:
- Identify and track compliance requirements, including those requirements applicable to federally funded grants and contracts;
- Identify risks for the organization and provide solutions for limiting exposure;
- Provide legal guidance to FSOs on various topics including employment, intellectual property, compliance, lobbying, insurance and risk management;
- Provide legal guidance to internal teams, including HR, consulting, and property management;
- Aid investigations into incidents related to FSOs.
Complete other tasks and projects related to the job, as needed.Qualifications
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Law degree from an accredited law school with an active license in good standing to practice law in Massachusetts;
- 5+ years of experience negotiating and drafting contracts of all types at substantial volume required;
- Prior experience managing and/or supervising direct reports;
- Prior experience reviewing and negotiating grant agreements required, (federal awards experience a plus);
- Demonstrated experience developing and overseeing complex contract management system strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with contracts management software and the ability to identify and implement technology solutions related to the contracts administration process;
- Ability to use software necessary to complete job functions;
- Ability to provide high level of responsive customer service to stakeholders;
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality;
- Ability to work independently with limited day-to-day management oversight;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities and to track and meet deadlines;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills;
- Extremely well-organized with excellent attention-to-detail;
- Ability to tactfully and diplomatically work through challenging situations with stakeholders;
- Ability to effectively manage and professionally support direct reports;
- Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced, diverse, environment;
- Ability to move past challenges, think creatively and find solutions;
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for TSNE's mission and to the work of social and economic justice organizations is preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed between our main office (89 South St. Boston, MA 02111) and your home office.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $115,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff;
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim;
- Low-cost Guardian Dental and Vision;
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care;
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance;
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA;
- ...and more!
TSNE envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/RDR8qmU2zkA5u1RkCpBlL" />