- Bachelor's (Required)
- Master’s (Preferred)
- US work authorization (Required)
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Salary: $85,000 per year
Location: Newport Beach, CA
COVID Vaccination Requirement: Must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 to be considered for this position.
Simon Scholars is a unique scholarship program that begins at the end of a student’s sophomore year in high school and continues through the completion of college. It is designed to help students facing difficult life and economic circumstances to excel academically and socially so they can successfully complete a 4-year college degree and pursue a meaningful career.
Simon Scholars is poised to double the number of Orange County Scholars in the next two years, and we are seeking an experienced, dynamic, and strategic leader to manage all aspects of the recruitment process through this significant growth. Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, this position will work collaboratively with the program team to accomplish key goals.
Simon Scholars is looking to recruit a strategic, results-oriented, and relationship-driven Director of Scholar Recruitment to ensure that each year, high-achieving underserved students join the Simon Scholars family. The Director of Scholar Recruitment, oversees and leads the recruitment process, with a focus on growing the overall number of qualified applicants from our partner high schools.
Dedicated to the Simon Scholars mission, the Director of Scholar Recruitment, is a confident and competent leader who is skilled at representing the organization in multiple settings. The Director develops recruitment strategies and assists with strategic implementation of recruitment activities by identifying strong recruitment practices, establishing relationships with key partners, and developing and executing recruitment initiatives. This position will oversee student recruitment initiatives which include; presentations to small and large groups, managing the student recruiting calendar, e-mail campaigns, social media mediums, and developing new ways to use technology to market Simon Scholars. This position will also be the main liaison/point of contact for all recruitment related activities to all internal and external stakeholders.
This position must have expert knowledge of recruitment strategies and designing a recruitment process; experience working with students; experience and commitment to working with families; and a deep understanding of the experiences of low-income and first-generation college student populations. Moreover, this leader excels at engaging in effective collaboration within teams to support a culture of operational excellence.
The Director will lead Simon Scholars’ work to help students, families, high school partners and key external stakeholders successfully learn about Simon Scholars, apply to Simon Scholars and to experience a seamless selection process from awareness to matriculation into the program.
Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Recruitment Leadership and Strategy (30%)
- Goal: Ensure success and continuous improvement in Simon Scholars’ recruitment efforts, leveraging data insights to inform and adapt strategy
- Design a comprehensive and agile recruitment strategy that is focused on Simon Scholars' growth goals and strategic priorities, and which is informed by data
- Create systems and processes to guide the recruitment and application process, ensuring clarity and consistency over time
- In collaboration with our Data & Systems Specialist, dynamically track and report on recruitment outcomes and applicant progression through stages of the application, and conduct detailed analysis of the efficacy of that year’s strategy upon completion of the cycle.
- Ensure that all members of the team are equipped to reach the ambitious recruitment goals and are supported in their growth
School and Community Partnerships (25%)
- Goal: Schools and Community organizations see Simon Scholars as a high-quality program and refer eligible students to our program.
- Leveraging internal and external data, identify target schools and community partners, with a focus on strategic recruitment priorities
- Develop new and strengthen existing relationships with strategic partners
- Provide education and support to partners in engaging eligible students, including through information sessions, production of resources, and communications
- Track and report on partner applicant progress and yield
- Serve as primary contact for partners and cultivate and steward partners through year-round outreach and engagement
Scholar Outreach and Recruitment (25%)
- Goal: Ensure that high-achieving, low-income underserved students apply to and enroll in Simon Scholars.
- Increase the number of qualified applicants at our partner high schools
- Design applicant communication and stewardship strategy focused on supporting students in initiating and finalizing applications and on ensuring a high yield of accepted students
- Plan and manage the creation of a suite of updated outreach materials each cycle
- Plan and facilitate local and virtual informational sessions
- Collaborate internally to plan and implement social media outreach efforts
Scholar Application and Selection Process (20%)
- Goal: Enroll a cohort of 200+ exceptional Scholars who meet Simon Scholars’ eligibility
- Design, launch and manage the Scholar application and selection process that is implemented via a CRM
- Coordinate and equip all parties involved in applicant selection, including Simon Scholars staff, School Site Contacts, and community partners
- Support cross-departmental and organization-wide events and initiatives, including Leadership Symposium.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Five or more years of professional experience required
- Minimum of five years of experience in student recruitment, in a non-profit, corporate or admissions setting, with significant project management experience
- Direct experience in admissions is a plus
- Experience in sales/marketing
- Prior experience managing professional staff
- Strong leadership and project management skills, and ability to leverage a team towards results
- Ability to bring a strategy to fruition, build effective new systems and processes, and adapt to meet evolving needs
- Ability to leverage technology to develop strong rapport with students
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to evaluate outcomes and make data-informed decisions
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to lead presentations and workshops for diverse audiences
- Highly skilled relationship-builder, who is able to build trusting relationships with colleagues, high school students, guidance counselors, and community-based partners
- Goal-oriented, motivated by impact and results
- An entrepreneurial attitude and focus on continuous improvement and innovation
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Job Type: Full-time, exempt