Sasha Bruce Youthwork (SBY) is the leading provider of homeless youth services in the DC Region. Through the holistic integration of its Pillars of Opportunity, Sasha Bruce is able to provide safe homes, life skills, and workforce development to meet the unique needs of homeless youth. For more than 45 years, Sasha Bruce has implemented innovative interventions aimed at ending youth homelessness in the DC region. Today, the programs in DC and Prince George’s County, MD, reach over 6,500 runaway, homeless, abused, and neglected youth, and their families.
This is a great opportunity to work with a focused, mission-oriented organization that has a kind and caring work environment and makes a difference in our community every day. In addition to competitive pay, we offer health, dental and vision benefits, life insurance, 12 paid holidays, vacation, sick and maternity/paternity leave, as well as a 403(B) plan.
ABOUT THE JOB
Are you an accountant professional who is focused, enthusiastic, detail oriented, and willing to do what it takes to get the job done? If you are looking for a hands-on accounting position in an organization you can be proud of, this is a great job for you.
The Accountant is a key position within the Finance Office reporting to the Accounting Manager. The Accountant is the primary position for processing accounts payable, receipt deposits, payable processing, general ledger chart of accounts maintenance, and thorough review of financial records for assigned restricted funding. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepare journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations.
- Process and record accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with finance policies and procedures, and in conjunction with OMB requirements for Federal grants.
- Ensure proper documentation for vendors regarding contract submissions and completed W-9 forms. You will use Bill.com, Abila MIP and various vendor portals to perform these responsibilities.
- Maintain electronic and paper vendor files in Account Payable modules to ensure that all data is accurate and ready for funder billings, audit, and 1099 reporting.
- Accurately track petty cash and advance payments, following up for receipts in a timely manner.
- Review and process Credit Card reports and receipts submitted by cardholders ongoing basis, ensure complete and proper receipts and documentation.
- Process cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and maintaining updated postings to the general ledger, in conjunction with the Accounting Manager and Development staff.
- Share responsibility with the Accounting Manager in processing bi-weekly payroll using ADP Workforce Now payroll and Timekeeper modules. Maintain close communication with HR to ensure the proper setup of new staff, terminations, benefit accruals, receipt of documentation for rate changes and other related payroll issues.
- Share responsibility with the Accounting Manager in processing bi-weekly contractor payments using ADP Workforce Now. Ensure accurate and complete information including up-to-date work contracts, W-9s and year end 1099 reporting.
- Perform general ledger accounts analysis and reconciliations related to payroll, prepaid expense, inventory and other misc. balance sheet accounts as assigned.
- Review and audit all travel reimbursements to ensure that travel reimbursements adhere to SBY’s travel and expense policy and procedures; maintain Metro card and token inventory by cost center.
- Process monthly grant billings for assigned grant funded projects.
- Prepare and communicate monthly financial reporting for internal and external stakeholders of assigned grant funded projects.
- Assist in annual Single Audit (formerly A-133) as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Associates degree in Accounting with related experience required
- 2-4 years of related accounting experience. Additional experience required if combined with Associates degree. Non-profit, and/or government grant accounting experience preferred.
- Demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge of accounting concepts, practices and procedures;
- Proven analytical skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Adept at efficient multi-tasking while maintaining a high quality work product
- Demonstrated proficiency in using a personal computer, including knowledge and skill in the use of the Windows operating system and pertinent software applications such as: Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- General Ledger and other accounting software for a medium sized corporation, Abila/MIP software preferred.
- Online payroll software, ADP preferred
- A high degree of integrity, accountability, and flexibility
- Must have a commitment to ending youth homelessness, racial equity, inclusion, and issues central to Sasha Bruce Youthwork’s mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc. is also committed to comply with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.