Position: Development Associate
Reports to: Senior Development Manager
Status: Full-time Exempt
Start Date: December 2021
The Opportunity Network (OppNet) is seeking an exceptional Development Associate to join our growing Strategic Advancement Team. The position is responsible for supporting all aspects of cultivation and fundraising including data entry and management, gift processing, special events, fundraising appeals, and mail and e-mail communications. This role requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, and superb organization and attention to detail, as well as professionalism and discretion, initiative and resourcefulness, the ability to deftly multi-task, and a willingness to work on a wide variety of projects and tasks. This is an ideal position for someone interested in exploring many aspects of nonprofit fundraising and who can balance the core duties that are vital to the team’s functioning with more elevated projects related to events, external and internal communications and interaction, and others.
Due to COVID-19, the position will operate virtually until at least through December 2021. After that date, the candidate should be available to work from OppNet’s office in New York City and will likely be expected to resume work as a hybrid remote employee as soon as public health regulations and
Since 2003, The Opportunity Network (OppNet) has ignited the drive, curiosity, and agency of historically and systematically underrepresented students on their paths to and through college and into thriving careers, powered by our commitment to access and community. This year, OppNet will reach more than 10,000 students of color across the nation to support them in achieving their college and career goals.
- OppNet’s founding Fellows program works with 1,000+ students over the course of six years, from 11th grade through to college graduation, to provide college guidance, five summers of paid internships, career exposure and skills-training, and support in growing personal and professional networks.
- OppNet’s Career Fluency® Partnerships Program works with 35+ schools and youth-serving nonprofits across 20+ cities to build their capacity to amplify college and career outcomes for their own students.
- Through Opportunity Ignited we provide advisory services to corporations seeking to embed values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their businesses.
- UninterruptedED, launched in 2020, is OppNet’s free, open-access learning portal for students and educators offering flexible courses spanning our proprietary Career Fluency® curriculum.
All of the work OppNet leads is in service of realizing our vision of a nation connected through vibrant communities and networks actively in pursuit of social justice and educational equity – a nation where all young people can freely create their own path to enduring success that honors their passions, ambitions, and full identities.
The ideal candidate will personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the organization. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the organization’s DE&I goals. The candidate should possess outstanding professionalism and discretion, organization and attention to detail, energy and initiative, the ability to prioritize and complete a variety of tasks on time, and a willingness to work on a wide range of assignments.
- Aid in the coordination and execution of OppNet’s cultivation and stewardship events, communications, and activities.
- Serve as primary liaison with event donors, a critical role responsible for accurately tracking and communicating all relevant details related to their support, recognition, and the event
- Play an integral role in the planning and implementation of our 900+ person, $2.8MM annual gala, including:
- Donor communication and benefit management for 400+ donors, including confirming and recording pledge amount, sharing fulfillment instructions, coordinating recognition benefits in all digital and print event materials, seating or attendance for donor/their guests
- Sourcing and production of printed and e-materials
- Save-the-date and invitation mailing to ~2,000 contacts
- Guest list management and check-in at the event
- Production of detailed Activity Reports alerting the team and key stakeholders (Board, Associate Board) of support they have raised from their networks
- Back-end support in coordination of venue relations, on-site management, and technology portals and partners for event execution, as needed.
Data & Gift Processing
- Serve as Development team’s primary manager and lead for inputting of donor, pledge/gift, contact, and prospect data in Salesforce.
- Enter all gifts and grants in Salesforce system, taking responsibility for securing necessary information from team members overseeing the gifts/grants; reviewing all entries for accuracy; liaising with Finance team; and overseeing timely production of reports on gift/pledge receipts to internal teams.
- Manage entry of contacts into Salesforce for Development team, maintaining an eye for data integrity and avenues to improve processes related to data management.
- Review and manage fundraising data, lists, and reports for accuracy; undertake review and data clean up projects as they arise; and ensure confidentiality.
- Produce data pulls, lists, and reports, as needed, for the team, including updates on gifts/pledges; contacts and prospects; campaign lists, etc.
- Produce detailed Activity Reports at points throughout the year to update key stakeholders on the Board, Associate Board, for example, with support raised from their networks and efforts.
Communications and Fundraising
- Oversee the critical and timely production and execution of donor acknowledgement letters to individual and institutional supporters.
- Coordinate all correspondence by assisting in the development of and being responsible for the production and dissemination of presentation materials, communications, acknowledgement letters, stewardship pieces and fundraising reports for various external audiences, prospects/donors and Board of Directors.
- Assist with direct mail and online solicitations, as well as serve as lead production and dissemination of e-communications via Marketing Cloud system for Development team.
- Manage several external and internal inboxes for the team, including review of messages; timely responses; and documenting communications as appropriate.
- Conduct prospect research on individual and corporate prospects to help assess funding opportunities, as needed.
- Manage soft/hard copy files of all gifts and grants and correspondence with donors.
- Maintain and manage supplies, including printed reports, materials for mailings, etc. for the team.
- Maintain a professional and well-organized department.
- Create efficiencies in functions and operations.
- Provide support to the department, as needed.
- Provide onsite support for in-person volunteer events once resumed, including volunteer check-in, name tag and material production, support in set-up of physical spaces -- in partnership with the Manager of Individual and Corporate Engagement and OppNet’s Program and Operations teams.
- Administrative support on all volunteer events (virtual or in-person), as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. accredited college/university.
- Passion for creative problem solving and maximizing system efficiency.
- Interest in fundraising, data, and events management.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Excel are preferred. Proficiency with Mail Merge is a must.
- Willingness to learn new computer skills and platforms as necessary.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, or a similar database system is a plus.
- Extraordinary attention to detail and superior organizational skills. Keeps track of projects and drives toward deadlines while communicating progress in real-time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to address a range of audiences, including donors, volunteers, Board and Associate Board members, vendors, staff, students, and alumni.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with precision, accuracy, and flexibility.
- Personal dedication to the quality of work produced and a high level of accountability.
- Comfort in a team-oriented environment with open communication and inclusive decision-making.
- Commitment to The Opportunity Network’s mission, and appreciation for and commitment to helping to operationalize equity and inclusion across OppNet’s work.
Commensurate with experience, plus top-of-the-line medical benefits and vacation policy, 401K, accruable comp time and a great work environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining how your credentials relate specifically to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above, salary requirements, and earliest available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Development Associate 2021” in the subject line.