Facilitated Experiences Educator 1
Full Time, Non-Exempt
About The Tech
The Tech Interactive is a family-friendly science and technology center in the heart of downtown San Jose. Our hands-on activities, experimental labs and design challenge experiences empower people to innovate with creativity, curiosity and compassion. The Tech is a world leader in the creation of immersive STEAM education resources to develop the next generation of problem-solvers locally, nationally and globally. We believe that everyone is born an innovator who can change the world for the better.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including but not limited to those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or nonconforming, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be an important member of the team that is at the heart of The Tech’s mission to inspire the innovator in everyone. The Educator 1 works as part of a team of facilitators who are responsible for delivering high energy, interactive gallery experiences, including design-based learning programs and exhibits. Our facilitation values are centered on a learner-driven experience, where guests are encouraged to innovate and iterate. In this role you must be able to engage with visitors of all ages and backgrounds through our Design Challenge Learning style of facilitation and with exceptional guest service skills.
The Facilitated Experiences Educator 1 position is a non-exempt, (hourly) position reporting to the Facilitated Experiences Management.
The Tech requires candidates to pass a background screening and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination including 1st booster, if eligible, as conditions of employment. If not yet eligible for booster, the vaccination must be received within two weeks of eligibility in order to stay compliant with The Tech’s vaccination policy.
- Lead experiences with all guests in our most open-ended program spaces — including but not limited to BioTinkering Lab and Tech Studio — using our Design Challenge Learning facilitation style.
- Lead Innovation Lab programs as assigned during the school year (October through June).
- Facilitate weekend birthday party labs, as scheduled.
- Interact and communicate with the public and ensure superior guest service.
- Perform a variety of floor programs and demonstrations daily, as assigned.
- Co-teach one or two science lab offerings with a trained Educator 2 facilitator, as scheduled during the school year (October through June).
- Participate in required and optional training sessions to build and maintain facilitation and engagement skills.
- Maintain current knowledge about The Tech's educational programs, membership options, special events and other visitor related information.
- Collect and provide input regarding visitor experiences in gallery experiences and exhibits.
- Act as Floor Lead for scheduling of volunteers and staff as assigned.
- Communicate with the Engineering and Facilities staff to assure that all exhibits, electronics and lighting in the gallery are functioning properly by reporting down exhibits and experiences.
- Assist in training staff and volunteers as needed.
- Demonstrate The Tech’s mission and values including values in diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of the job.
- Perform cleaning as per protocols and follow all safety guidelines without exception.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be available to initially work both Saturday and Sundays. Other needed availability will vary based on The Tech’s operating schedule. Some positions will eventually require full-time availability.
- Ability to work in a public setting interacting with visitors and follow required safety protocols.
- Teaching experience or experience working with youth in a traditional or non-traditional educational setting.
- Serious and passionate about science and technology, while also flexible, patient and able to have fun with members and guests. Ability to accurately understand, interpret and communicate information.
- Experience in engaging in and communicating technical/scientific topics to diverse groups with varying levels of exposure to and knowledge of the subject. Ability to appropriately adapt content as well as the ability to pace facilitation and make on-the-spot decisions as changes arise.
- Excellent facilitation skills that include the ability to communicate information to members and guests in a way that inspires curiosity, creativity and problem solving that continues beyond their visit.
- Welcomes feedback and coaching; is happy to seek advice of mentors.
- Excellent customer service, public speaking and listening skills.
- Pursuing or completed bachelor’s degree in education, science, engineering or equivalent experience.
- Fluency in one or more languages common to the San Francisco Bay Area is a plus.
- Ability to adhere to The Tech’s grooming guidelines.
- Has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and is able to demonstrate The Tech’s values.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for significant periods of time.
- Constantly positioning self based on the demonstration needs of each exhibit and program.
- Frequently moves objects up to 25 pounds.
The Tech will provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.