CPI is currently looking for an exceptional Grants Finance Manager to support our global offices implementing programs across the globe. You will be part of a finance team performing detailed financial analysis, strengthening reporting systems, and providing training and support to Program staff. You will have the opportunity to work for an innovative global organization with a highly motivated team.
The Grants Finance Manager will contribute to the effectiveness and impact of CPI’s work by assisting the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Program staff in ensuring sound and compliant financial practices across CPI’s diversity of donors. You will advance efficient and accurate financial reporting and develop and improve upon financial policies, systems, procedures, and tools. Additionally, you will actively engage with others across the organization to ensure that CPI’s overall financial management and reporting systems and procedures are efficient, informative and in accordance with requirements.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Directly manage the periodic preparation of external financial reports ensuring proper utilization of restricted funds
- Periodically review accounts and project spending performance and provide feedback and analysis to project leaders on variances and areas affecting donor compliance
- Review internal and external project budgets making sure expenses are sound, properly presented and meeting cost-recovery targets
- Coach Program staff on project budgeting and planning
- Coordinate the preparation and execution of grant-specific audits working closely with CFO, Finance and Operations teams and Program staff
- In collaboration with the Finance team, work and improve on cost allocations, general accounting, internal controls and administrative systems
- Ensure that adequate financial systems are in place and are in accordance with CPI policies and procedures and grant and donor requirements
- Develop new processes and procedures for efficient functioning of project financial processes
- Assist with development and implementation of new organizational policies, federal award procedures and audit processes
- Ensure the integrity of finance records and assist in creating and streamlining knowledge management systems and processes
- Improve the utilization of CPI’s accounting software for project reporting and funds management
- Compile finance content required under Requests for Proposals, manage financial aspects of donor due diligence requests, review new grant and contract agreements for key financial information and flag issues
- Support the administration of subgrant agreements including due diligence, financial oversight, and monitoring
- Track and review project cashflow and advance/reimbursement requests to donors
- Provide day to day finance support to the CFO; liaise with operations and Research staff to ensure processes are clear and deadlines are met
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- A demonstrated understanding of non-profit GAAP accounting, financial reporting, policies, and grants management as they relate to non-profit/international NGOs; experience with US federal and European Government Agency funding a plus
- The candidate must have at least 3-5+ years of non-profit finance/accounting and grants management experience.
- Experience compiling and reviewing financial reports to donors; experience with US federal funding and A-133 requirements a plus
- Knowledge of business; experience in all aspects of donor/grants/contract cycle and audits
- Ability to work with all levels of staff across a multi-cultural, multi-geographic, multi-discipline organization
- A growth mindset and a passion for helping people continuously improve
- Experience with data management: sorting, managing, matching, arranging, maintaining, and updating complex data
- Proven ability to track and manage several projects and processes simultaneously
- General administration experience and basic knowledge of systems development and implementation
- Technologically savvy with an excellent command of Excel and experience with accounting software (Sage Intacct a plus)
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail, particularly in regards of financial data management
- Great oral and written communication skills, solution oriented, and be able to keep up a fast pace while adapting to frequent change
- Legal authority to work in US required unless in UK.
Location and compensation
- CPI is hiring, open immediately. Location in San Francisco or Washington DC preferred. London optional. Availability to attend our offices on a hybrid basis.
- CPI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Compensation will be based on experience.
Visit this link to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV no longer than 2 pages (2) a cover letter no longer than 1 page. Applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the USA. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and open until filled. Apply early. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.